Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

One of those momma moments

Last weekend I found myself on the last night of our time together watching a lot of my family sitting in couches sharing ideas and feelings. It was one of those rewarding, fulfilling, life-is-okay kind of times. They come every few years. Momma moments.

A big one I remember was a Christmas that Rachel was either 12 or 13 and all the older children had come back from different universities and away. It was late at night on Christmas Eve and I was so tired from all the prep work and airport runs. I came down the stairs to find the children (actually they were mostly adults) laughing around the computer, "You've got to see this!" I realized they would be up for hours and who cared as it was the holiday. As I stood there wondering what to say, Rebekah comes up and pats me on the back and said, "It's okay you don't have to wait for everyone to go to bed and put out the stockings, we are going to have a really great Christmas morning." So I went to bed with gratitude in my heart for my loving children who get along so well with each other and could also interpret my feelings.

Another moment came at Pajaro Dunes also when Jayson was just a baby and not walking. The 'children' were gathered around the long table laughing and playing a game and it struck me that there hadn't been any contention or disagreements the whole time, just a feeling of sharing and warmth. The effort, prayers and hard work paid off in a really nice vacation.

Debbie is holding James in the foreground and behind me is Lilly, but the other four are on Rachel's bench

This weekend was different. Briona and Andrew organized everyone, paid for all the condos and invited everyone to bring food and come meet. Each family took charge of different aspects of the vacation. Everyone was sharing their ideas, talents, and watching other's children. My "moment" was the whole weekend. Julia flew eight hours with a baby who didn't sleep much and then drove with her mom in heavy traffic. She made sure she stopped in Pajaro Dunes to see us and get a picture with all of us. When she arrived some of the babies weren't awake, so she and her mother talked and waited around till it was time. The meals were really awesome. Rebekah's Mike had made three different kinds of enchiladas so the food allergies would be okay. Debbie had recommended a book for us to read and exchange ideas on. Kelsi cheerfully took extra kids to the beach, and Rachel, of course, has favorite aunt status as all the grands love her. It was hilarious walking into the church and all the children zeroed onto Rachel and her bench. Jeffrey drove two to four hours every day so he could be with us and still take care of his responsibilities.

So when I found myself watching the family in a devotional on the last night sharing many feelings and ideas from totally different points of view. Because my back aches if I sit on the couches, I was in a hard chair just outside of the circle. It was an advantage point and seeing everyone interact, respond, and share. A very big momma moment filled with gratitude to the Lord for allowing me to be part of this wonderful family!

   

No comments: