Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Hair Story


     Grandmama tells me that when she was first married, she told Duke that when they could afford to have her hair done at a salon that she like have her hair done once a week. After the first year or two, that is exactly what she did. Every Saturday she would have her hair done so she would look great on Sunday.
     When she arrived at our home on the 14th of December, I tried to make an appointment but every hairdresser I knew was booked up solid for the Christmas festivities. In fact, I couldn't get an appointment until the New Year was over! 
      I realized how important this was to her when she looked at her Christmas pictures and said how ugly she was in all the pictures and how bad her hair looked. I was happy that she remembered some of the music and the family singing together and luckily I could 'blur' out some of her white root pictures.
     I knew Stacie Frost has done "old ladies" hair for years and they all walk away extremely happy. Stacie wasn't going to be back to work until the middle of January so I made an appointment at a walk-in Salon near our home. Beverly has a hard time leaning back to have her hair washed and so her back was a little damp. They gave her an old lady hairdo. Little barrel curls and bangs curled in front. Okay...so her hair was done....though I didn't really like it. Beverly was astonished that they charged $30 as she hasn't paid more than $20 for years. I told her she was in California and everything costs more here. The salon didn't want to take a check so she paid cash.
      We went back the next week with the same results, a damp back, an old lady hairdo, and with the complaint that they charge too much.
     Glory hallelujah we were able to see Stacie Frost the third week and have her hair colored, set and she walked out with a beautiful hairdo!! I took this picture, we both liked her hair.
Stacie Frost from Touch of Class with Beverly and her new do!

I watched Stacie use a blow dryer and a flat curling iron that she flipped the hair into curls with. Magic I cannot repeat. She did show me how to brush out the hair so it would look good on Sunday. That also worked.
     They only fly in the ointment is that Stacie works on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays as she has many family commitments on the weekends. Beverly wouldn't make another appointment as she wanted a Saturday appointment, and "she wasn't going to be here that long." 
     So I called on Tuesday the next week but all Stacie's appointments were booked up. Back we went to the former shop on Saturday, (though I did book Stacie for the following Wednesday). Oh my, what a fiasco that Saturday appointment was! 
     First, the lady drenched Beverly so badly she had to take off her soaking wet shirt and sweater set and wear her coat for the rest of the visit. Second, when the lady started to dry her hair, I asked that she blow dry it with a brush and use the curling iron. When I looked up from my book 15 minutes later, Beverly was under the hairdryer all in curlers. I was told her hair was too thin to use an iron with. Third, when we went to pay, there wasn't any discount due to the mishaps. Just the old lady hairdo to go home with. Beverly and I smiled with gritted teeth and decided that was the last time we would go there.
Coming home in only a coat with barrel curls

As she slowly pushed her walker up the sidewalk she asked how she had gotten wet in the rain. This is just after a short car ride where we discussed why we both were not happy with the service at that salon. Did I mention 50 first dates?
   
Two days after a great hairdo

    The next week after Wednesday's beautiful hairdo from Stacie Frost,  Beverly asked later that night if I'd wake her up for church the next day. I said sure.
     I have the next weeks booked for Thursdays at 2:30 pm with Stacie. Since Beverly hasn't been able to make it the last seven Sundays to church...I'm thinking Thursday for hair is just fine.

No comments: