Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

John came to visit!

Two weekends ago my brother John called up to say he was in the city and wondered if he could come for a visit. Wow, it has been years since I've seen my brother John.
As the oldest to his almost youngest sibling of 12, there has only been one summer where I actually got to know him. I was in college when he was born and "knew" him for a few months in the summer and a few months before I left on my mission. We would visit maybe twice a year.
Then one glorious summer he came to stay with us and got to know our boys very well. He took Rebekah, Nate, Andrew and Matthew to the beach for fun in the sun. They got turned around and lost but had fun adventures and made it home before dark. He made the coolest "swords" out of sticks with padding and old socks on the end - so no one would poke their eye out.
He had a memorable jump over a rotted fence that ended with a trip to the ER. We all fell in love with John and couldn't wait for him to come the next summer. Well, he met a lovely girl that nest semester in school and came to find out her home town was just 10 miles away from us.
Needless to say John's focus was on Amy that next summer. The one memorable trip was my grandfather's funeral. Coming home I got off on the wrong exit and while trying to find my way back home, John told an exciting story of his adventure in Yellowstone with lost scouts on a hike, a bear, a dark cold night, crossing rivers in the night, and devoted brothers who came to rescue them.
Jeffrey and I were so happy to see John again after so many years. Jeffrey and John stayed awake until 2 in the morning catching up and talking. I only lasted till about 10:30 pm. He went to church the next day and was able to meet up with an old friend of his who happen to live in our ward boundaries. Good day, good visit.
'Little' brother John and I (Actually I'm old enough to be his mom)

John S Lore and Clay Simmons

These two met each other a little less than 20 years ago

No comments: