Pages

Friday, May 11, 2018

Details, how did that work?

Reading through the Book of Mormon, I am in Ether again. And again I find more questions about trivial things that I haven't found answers to.

How do you carry honey bees for long distances without invoking their fury or causing them to die? They wouldn't be running around gathering pollen, so how would you take the fragile honeycomb and keep the bees alive?

I really loved seeing a youtube demonstration on how a barge "tight like a dish" could travel and survive through the water. Here is one possibility for your thoughts: Jared's barge.
I really like how the debris is floated off through the water as that question had come to my mind also.

But the big question is how you would fit all the families, the food for a year or so and all the animals on eight barges that are the length of a tree? How big was that tree? How do you care for animals and humans in a tight spaces? How did they keep track of each other on the water? How long were they underwater? What would make the barge stay upright? What glued the light-weight wood together "as tight as a dish"?

I've been traveling on a few planes in the last few weeks, some long trips and some short trips so the idea of being in a cramped space with lots of people rises the questions higher in my mind. Add in animals, bees (did they bring the fish too?) and maintenance/packing problems all come to my mind. Much less how they all stayed cheerful and sane. Were any babies born throughout the trip?

The fact is, I'm still wondering why Jared asked his brother if the Lord would "drive them out" of the land to a better place - It looks like they were looking to go to a promised land so why is he asking if the Lord is driving them out? Maybe there is some nuances of words I'm missing. More probably the story is just not long enough.  Teachers always skip right to the light part - which is amazing, wonderful and insightful - but sometimes I'd like to know a little more of the technical details.

No comments: