Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Saturday Fun!

Invited to a Luncheon

The four ladies in the front are all Filipino but I'm not sure which Evenlyn is which so we have Evelyn Briones, Geneline Advent, Rosen Stafford and Evenly Gutierrez. In the back Laurie Henderson is on the right (she is the hostess), Jeffrey and I and SueZann Wuthrich is on the left.
Laurie Henderson is Debbie Adams (my daughter-in-law)'s mom. She invited Jeffrey and I to a luncheon where we watched four amazing Filipino women make a speciality. I had so much fun and loved all the dishes. This time I watched very carefully and I think I figured out the adobe chicken. It is one of those recipes with simple ingredients but each chef does some little twist to make it great.  I'm still going to have to ask questions on the pancit, I really want to learn how to make good pancit.

In the above picture, notice that everyone is in the photo. For some reason a camera in the hands of Filipinos always includes everyone. I tried to take a photo of five people and kept cutting off heads and barely fit all in......is this an instinctive ability or learned?  Maybe it's the angle....it just feels weird to practice taking pictures of myself.....

Pancit....I fell in love with pancit my first month into my mission. Sister Albos and Sister Chan both make excellent pancit. I even had a crispy pancit that was very good. Learning how to make this dish is a goal of mine.

Yummy goodness!

We ended up after the meal was over putting together Halo Halo. I do not believe I have had this dessert the same way twice. EVERYONE has their own twist to it. This one was made with mango ice-cream, it was delicious!!

Mincing up the garlic for adobe chicken. I watched this chicken being made and heard another twist on how adobe chicken is made.......on Sunday I combined the two and made some chicken to take to a woman just out of the hospital. Hopefully it was good.


I love lumpia!  I loved it before I went to Manila. I haven't had Sister Chan's fresh lumpia here - I'll have to try it on my own.....

Rozen put the ingredients for Halo Halo together, made ice-shaving with a machine, and let us put our own together.
If this is how ministering works? I am all for it!! We had a nice hour or so of cooking. I brought fruit salad and SueZann brought her green salad mostly pre-prepared too. I loved watching the Filipino women working shoulder to shoulder with familiar camaraderie.

At the table the conversation fell to whitening soaps and Jeffrey said later he was very surprised that so many people want to whiten their skin when thousands want to 'tan' here in America. And then the conversation turned to conversion stories. I felt very blessed to be able to hear their stories.

One of the Evenlyn's asked if I knew Jimmy Albos! What a popular man he is. Lots of people know him in America and in the Philippines! I left a picture of our group on Facebook and Jim Albos said she was the daughter-in-law of Nanay Adviento. Of course I had to go look on Facebook for her to see if I knew her. I found this picture at a birthday of Charito Santos Alferez, that says Nanay is there so with the process of elimination, I think this is she. I did recognize  Angelo, his brother and family in the other pictures.
Is this Nanay Adviento?

Ah, I miss my friends in the Philippines and I love getting to know other friends here!

No comments: