Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

"That's for the young people......"

When I first started Pathways to figure out how to get back into school to get my degree, there were several things that I heard but in my mind discounted due to my age and previous inability. One was this promise given by Elder Eyring concerning the students.

"They will be natural leaders who know how to teach and how to learn … those graduates of BYU-Idaho will become legendary for their capacity to build the people around them and to add value wherever they serve" (Elder Henry B. Eyring, A Steady, Upward Course, Brigham Young University-Idaho Devotional, September 18, 2001). 

When I got back from Manila I realized that I had contributed to the Dental Clinic and to our ward and added value to my workplace. This was a promise fulfilled.

Another promise was the fact that we were to take a characteristic of Jesus Christ and work on it for a semester then watch our own character change. In my mind I said, "Right. Work on this characteristic for 4 months and presto your life will change? I don't think so."  I felt I was too old to change and that these promises were for the younger students.

Could I have been more wrong?  In four months I went from being Linda Ann Adams to Sister Adams. Being a student to serving the Lord full time. Yes, this was another promise that was fulfilled and I can say my perception of people has changed completely. *Poverty, challenges, and culture produces an entirely different people who have so much to offer that of course I had never been aware of before.

Be very careful of the promises given from servants of the Lord. They will be fulfilled.

*Update: After posting this, the Quirino First Ward send this quote which I feel is any example of what I saw in the Filipino Saints.
"Adversity helps to develop a deep of character that comes in no other way." Dieter F. Uchtdorf

No comments: