Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Answers

 Jeffrey and I went through the steps of filling out our papers to serve in West Africa, and found the process so much easier and clear than in 2016. The forms are entirely different as they presume you are going to take care of yourself physically and only ‘recommend’ the colonoscopy, mammogram, and pap smear which were all required before turning in papers the last time. In July we submitted our papers though I had appointments set up for August and September for the ‘recommended’ procedures. 

When I had my physical in late July, Dr. Crockett again suggested that I have a hysterectomy due to my prolapsed uterus (he has suggested it since Rachel was a toddler). This time I made an appointment to get it taken care of. I’m not sure why but he sent me to a urologist first who then recommended a gynecologist.  



Since it is 2020 there are many, many more hoops to jump through for every appointment. First everyone gives each appointment in two weeks from the day I call. The only call I’ve made in three months that did not have a two-week waiting time was for an X-ray. Next I have to get more lab work done and then I have to get COVID testing before the big procedures.  I wear a mask to every appointment and get asked EVERY time if I have a fever, cough, sneezing, and if I’ve gone out of the country or been exposed to a person who has COVID symptoms.  Some offices give you a new mask to wear in their facility and some ask if the mask you are wearing was new today.  The mammogram turned out ok or in the normal range. The colonoscopy was a very different experience from my previous three and turned out with one node that if left could turn into a cancerous condition, but I’m good for now. I got good results on my pap smear. So far so good!


Now the hysterectomy experience so far has been very interesting. As in NOT FUN! After reading all the literature of the pros and cons and wading through the different awkward procedures I started to question whether going through we this was really necessary. I’ve lived with inconvenience and thought about just going on with my life despite occasional unwieldy days.


Early one morning I looked out the bathroom window and asked God if this was really a necessary procedure and should I go through with the surgery or not. The next day Dr. Hanna (whom I hadn't met yet)  the gynecologist personally called me about my sonogram results and asked if I have been bleeding at all. She told me my uterine wall was 11 centimeters when it should be 5 centimeters and if I had bleeding that would be a sign of cancer. She told me they would take a biopsy at my next appointment to make sure. Whoa. I was flooded with great thankfulness for such a quick answer to prayer and a hollow feeling that my life might take a different turn if it turned out bad. The bottom line we will go ahead with the surgery on the 13th of October. I still have three more preparatory appointments and another COVID test before then.  


My thankfulness stems from the fact that I know I would have drifted on in my ‘normal’ state for however many years if I had not said yes to Jeffrey’s desire to go on a mission. I have been blessed now and in the future because of this experience right now. I won’t get uterine cancer in 8 or 9 years from now. I won’t get colon cancer in the next few years and so far I am free from breast cancer. I am am very grateful for these tremendous blessings from the Lord.

1 comment:

Ludlows said...

What beautiful blessings. I'm so glad you said yes to the mission and for all the blessings that will follow, for you and others.