Pages

Monday, December 20, 2021

Banana Cream Pie - in Africa (not)

 So a country that has some of the best tasting bananas in the world - doesn't serve Banana Cream Pie. Interesting. I had Esther and Sharon come over during their lunch break so they could try this new dessert. Since there is a dearth of graham crackers, I just crushed up some shortbread cookies and used them for the crust. 

Esther and Sharon had little glasses to layer their dessert in, and I had a small casserole dish so I could make Banana Cream Pie for the Luke family. Chicken soup and Banana Cream Pie for supper. (whole 'nuther story)

I recorded the whole process for the grandchildren on Marco Polo and Esther said they just eat their bananas instead of making dessert because they are so good. I thought that was a reasonable explanation.

Crushed up the cookies and spread on the bottom, peel and cut slices then layer bananas. After make custard - easy peasey - from custard powder. 2 cups of milk, 2 tablespoons custard powder, a little sugar, mix and whisk and cook for three to five minutes until thick, then layer that over the bananas and crust. Let cool for a bit. Whip up the heavy cream into stiff peaks - you can add vanilla, little sugar, and maybe a tiny pinch of salt if you want. Top your dessert off with the whip cream and serve. I saved my whip cream in a bowl and my pie in its pan until I was ready to walk up and deliver it. Then I put it together and took hot soup and cold pie up to the Lukes. 

Esther and Sharon said it was good and it was easy. Esther was going to make it for her family. Sharon thought she might make it for her nieces and nephews during the Christmas break when visiting. What a lot of fun I had with these two ladies!




No comments: