Friday, October 4, 2024

The Joys of "riding" the animals

 The carousel was not open when we first arrived at the zoo. We had determined to come back later and let Amber have a good ride. She is just short enough that her mother would need to ride with her. I'm not too sure Briona wanted to ride being pregnant. 

It was all a moot point as Amber 'rode' all the animals statues in the park. She loved getting up on the lions, tigers, bears etc. as we walked along. Judging by the smooth finish on those backs, many children have been on and slid down their backs.

I ran into an old friend when I saw the Leo drinking fountain that looks exactly like I remembered drinking from. But, I just knew it couldn't be the same one when I was a child - and I am so far removed from that time to be laughable. 

Here is the quote from Deseret News Sept 7, 2009:

"Remember the lion head drinking fountains? The original lion fountain arrived at Hogle Zoo in the 1950s, has been refurbished a few times and is now found by the penguin pool. There are also two new versions of the fountain in use at the zoo.

Lund said he even has some old photos of himself as a youth with his head inside that lion's mouth."








No comments: