Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Retrospection

 It is only in retrospect that I know I have been blessed and protected and watched over. Running through my mind on Sunday, I was only concerned about how I was going to get the cedis to the two men without the use of their legs at a certain corner. I was the driver and no one was in the passenger seat, so I was thinking about the ins and outs of how to make sure they got their cedis without bottling up traffic. But I only got about 500 yards down the street when the street on my right had a car that wasn't stopping at the corner. I swerved left to the side of my street but it was not enough. There was a sickening crunch and slide as the other car ended up heading behind me.

My car is the one with the door open, the black car is not involved just going around. I am standing next to the "other" car. Everyone appeared ok though I had the shakes. A lady was driving, a little boy and another lady were in the other car.
I can't tell you my dismay in being in a foreign country where different languages are spoken and I don't always recognize the English that is spoken added to the fact I had no idea what I was supposed to do.
Her car was damaged much more badly than mine was.

Though mine car wasn't pretty

Three or four security guards came out from I don't know where and it was apparent that no one was "in charge" after everyone asked if anyone was hurt. I opened my glove box and got the instructions out "What to do if you are in an Accident". I called the name on the list and he told me to take pictures and get the contact information from the other driver. He said something about being in a meeting and would call later. 

When it was apparent that "the man" I called wasn't coming the other driver took her crippled car (something was bent on the tire and it could barely move) and went home.

Looking back I realize that I was helped, aided and blessed in quite a few ways. First I had a calmness that was interesting. Shock? But I was never anxious. If you know me, that is very interesting to have a calmness when I was clueless. Second, one of the security guards was very adamant that I call the police and make a report. He let me know (when I started listening to him) that it was critical that I have a report and make sure I was taken care of. Other security guards backed up his point. So a taxi driver that had been waiting, watching, and witnessing the commotion took me over to the police station and stayed with me the entire time. He would translate at times and told the officer what happened - I guess - it was mostly in a different language. The officer wrote (laboriously by hand) everything in English. one of the security guards named Samuel had given me his number because I had told them I needed to pick my husband up from the airport. He had a brother who drives people around.

After 45 minutes of writing, calls, and talking with the taxi driver the inspector got in the taxi with us and went back to the scene of the accident and called the lady involved telling her to come back. Her car was already in the shop. He spoke very sternly for about 10 minutes on the phone. The security guards, taxi driver and maybe others all spoke to the inspector. I was asked if my car was drivable and I thought it was, so they asked me to drive my car to the police station.

I thought it was very interesting that everyone assumed I was just fine and strong and could do whatever was necessary. They didn't see me flinching at cars coming up. Another blessing, prayer got me where I needed to go.

Another hour at the police station talking and writing calling and where I was asked to write my experience. Both the inspector and taxi driver helped me fix the few things I forgot in my story. The inspector wrote on three different pages and had me sign in different places. He told me that it would be cheaper if I took my car to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Lisencing Authority) myself on Monday morning as my car was drive-able instead of leaving my car at the station to be inspected later. I thanked him and the taxi driver showed me the way back to my street.

Thinking about how wonderful and nice the security guards were for helping me out, I made cookies and brought them down close to the place of the accident and called as I already had Samuel's number. I told Samuel and Prince that they were my heroes and thanked them for their help and advice. I told Samuel that I would go pick up my husband as I had a drivable car. While I was talking, Lorinda called and asked me to pick up others at the airport as she and Brent needed to get Covid testing so they could leave for Utah on Monday. I motioned to Samuel to stay there and then asked him if he could arrange to pick up four people with me at the airport that evening. No way was I going to watch people trying to get into a dented car where the doors don't open on one side!

He arranged for two cars as that was a lot of people. We met later and I met his brother Charles and a close friend who drove the other car. It turned out very serendipitous that Richard Burton could have his own car to drive to the hotel and Jeffrey and I with the Eastmonds in the other car dropped them off to the Area Office parking lot by their car then Jeffrey and I went home. No one at the time realized I didn't bring my own car on purpose but felt I'd helped them out expeditiously. God works in mysterious ways.

Jeffrey was adamant that night that I have the person from the travel office with me when I went to the DVLA. I think he was prompted and inspired. Otherwise it would have been a nightmare.

On Monday morning I met with the man from the travel department Syvanus Komla Fenuku, first we went to the police department while the two of them (Inspector and Brother Fenuku) spoke a different language and Brother Fenuku got the whole story again. The lady from the accident had shown up and surrendered her license. Then, we drove to the DVLA. 

The compound has yellow buildings all around that say things like Building E, G, A etc. in the middle  cars parked filling the center. At the back of the compound was another lot and an open building with a drive over pit. We drove over to that building and thats when the crazy music begins. We were told to get an eye exam and something else. Going to the different buildings we'd be told to go there and there would tell us to go over somewhere else and when we got there they'd tell us we'd have to pay first and going to pay was two different places and the eye exam was actually somewhere else. All forms and procedures were hand written and took as much time as possible.We criss-crossed and went upstairs and down and over and back to the open pit building where the man examined our papers again and wrote something out on another paper and told us to go have it typed up which resulted in more crisscross places to visit to go somewhere else. I thought I was holding up pretty good following him around like a duckling, but something clued him into the fact I was lost. He told me to go sit in the car out of the sun and he'd get the papers we needed. Nice. Another blessing. When he arrived with the paper the man in the open pit just signed it and off we went back to the police station - where I sat in a nice air-conditioned car while he finished up with the inspector. 

Looking back, I know I was protected, blessed, aided and helped out the whole way. The fact that I am safe, well, and content in my apartment is the first clue.

I made cookies for Brother Fenuku and a double batch when I found out he has five children.

My car is in the shop for repairs, I don't have to go to court because "we" are just looking for a settlement and life is good.

I have a new friend Samuel who is running errands for me and texting about the goodness of life.

Yes life is good.


No comments: