Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Mommy

 About the first week we were here, Jeffrey was trying to get a parking space big enough to fit our SUV in. He had to keep going back as we were in someone's spot and then in someone else's spot and finally it all got figured out. 

I was in the garage waiting for Jeffrey to come back when one of the men in the garage asked, "Where's your daddy?" I realized he was asking about Jeffrey. Since then I have run into this at least once a week. Especially when someone calls me Mommy. The pronunciation is not quite mummy, or American mommy but something in between. I can't really say it properly. The man who cleans our apartment always calls me mommy. "What would you like done Mommy?" People who sell in the market call out, "Mommy!Mommy come buy." 

I'm still not sure what I'm suppose to do or say. Do I talk with the man back as Daddy? Do I sign my texts Mommy? So far, I don't say or do anything. In America calling someone daddy has a sexual overtone.

The Despains and I made jokes about it one day when we were at the market. Elder Despain said he had two mommies. I told the man he was talking to that I had my own Daddy. What does it actually mean here in Africa? Is it just a form of address like Mrs and Miss? Do you say it only in certain situations? When I hear it I think of my British companions in Canada, I just think it originated from the British. But the meaning or connotation is unclear.  It feels like a form of address, but I can't tell. Any insight would be appreciated. 

No comments: