Pages

Friday, October 28, 2022

Mike and Carol

 Before we left for Accra, Mike had told us he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease -- just like his dad. I am not sure if he had gone a long time without the diagnosis or if he is losing ground faster than his father. But I was surprised to see how different he looked and acted from two years ago. He does not drive a car and does not go on hikes by himself. This must be so frustrating for a man who could pick up and go by himself all over the place. He is very fortunate that Sarah, his daughter lives close by and is willing to go places with him.

The shock I had on this particular visit, was to find out that Carol had a cancer, she had treatments, and her hair has grown back in again. WHAT?! Talking about my angst on the car ride home, Jeffrey said, "Oh I'm sorry, I thought you knew." If I had I would definitely have been praying for her and hopefully written a letter or two while we were gone. She looked good though she felt she did not because she didn't have her hair done and beautiful clothes on. I thought she looked like a cuddly grandma, just right. 

When I got back home and was talking with Matthew about not knowing what is happening in my own family, he said, "You know mom, I am sad that is happening. I have been so wrapped up in keeping my head above water during this residency that I don't know what is happening to my own brothers and sisters." We talked for a bit on how to keep in touch with family members -- then made a date to meet.

I am hoping Jeffrey and I can go back and visit Mike and Carol soon. 




No comments: