Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2024

Staying in the game - Faux unawareness

 I've got to keep my traveler's hat on -- situational awareness. Vendors will always have a sale and smiling eye contact means, "I want to buy your goods". Do not let hands catch or hold given items or someone will "give" something that they want paid for. 

So I got targeted first trip out of the hotel room - so happy to be here that I was smiling at everybody. A sweet woman gave me a flower but would not take it back even when I explained I had no pounds. Jeffrey started fishing out US ones but when he pulled out a five, she snatched the five and kept all the ones.

Ok, I'm back in the groove, no eye-contact smiles and faux disregard of all those who are catching my eye - flower 'girls', clowns, beggars under the scaffolding, saxophone players, man with warm Carmel glazed peanuts and almonds, people dancing in place, woman with oversized camera, people with big handful of balloons, etc. . Since Wednesday night I (ok, Jeffrey) haven't paid for anything we didn't/don't want. I just walk through the crowds like I am focused on getting someplace. So far, so good.

The little bistro we had supper in, gave me a glass of water so my rose wouldn't die.


No comments: