Pages

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Jeepney Angels

After a few hours at at the dental office I left to dodge cars and trucks along C-5 watching for bicyclists and random people in the road. Motorcycle weave in and out of traffic and jeepneys crowd the edges. Hawkers are selling water and treats, security guards are whistling and making room for cars backing in and out of businesses.  After one or two missed turns I found the land and gate I was looking for and parked across someone's driveway and sidewalk.
Sereene and I had a great outing together picking up missionary travel stuff because she will soon be going to the MTC in preparation for her mission to the Salt Lake Visitors Centre. I'm getting the impression that only sisters are in that mission - fascinating! She kept thanking me and I told her it was just fine because I am just paying it forward. I had an entire ward - Syracuse 7th ward in Utah - who outfitted me with everything-just everything- so I could go on my first mission. Did I ever thank them enough for all the generous donations? Anyway I told her I was passing the legacy along and she could help another missionary someday. So if you happen to be on Temple Square sometime this summer and see a happy missionary with a "Sister Baysa" name tag, please give her a hug from me.
After I dropped her off - she was able to give me really great directions to her home - I set out (with about the 4th or 5th prayer in my heart) to drive back home. On 20th avenue the lights were out. Two lanes of traffic going into two lanes one way and two lanes the other way - cars, trucks, taxis, motorcycles and people cramming in anywhere they could fit. Of course I had to make a left turn - what with Murphy's law and all!
I arrived at the intersection of the street and prayed very hard that I would safely make it through the chaos. A jeepney came up on my left and a jeepney came up on my right (yes there are only two lanes of traffic) and I knew that if I stayed sandwiched between them I could get through the intersection because jeepneys dare any opening and all I would have to do is move forward. Who would have thought jeepneys would be an answer to prayer? That is not usually my reaction to jeepney aggression.

No comments: