Pages

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Pie

In 2016 November I was assigned to get pies for the Thanksgiving feast and didn't find any pies except the tart size one in a shop called, "Pie Face". I haven't thought about it since.
Today, Sister Whitehead told me that she likes fruit pies more than cake. So I decided to make her an apple pie.............. Such good intentions.
I got out the flour and butter and cut it together with a metal whisk. After cutting up the butter into the flour, just before I added water, I realised I still didn't have a rolling pin. After the gingerbread episode last month, I was NOT going to try substitutes again. Especially on a pie.
So I put the cut up flour in the fridge and went over to Robinson's grocery store with a list of 5 items. Three full recyclable grocery bags, 2 extra I bought at the store and some huge bottles of water I still walked out without a rolling pin.
After putting the groceries away and having the maintenance man haul away all the recyclables and setting up an appointment to clean out the grease trap, I went to buy lunch and bring it to Sister Whitehead and her family. Whoo, nothing better than trying to pull out a credit card that isn't there. I told them I would be right back and if I didn't find my card I would pay cash. Ran back to Robinson's - no card - front desk at apartment - no card, back to the apartment, kitchen, bedroom, frantic prayers to then find it on the dining room floor - thank you Lord. Ran - ok walked fast in the heat - to pick up the dinners and walk over to the Whiteheads. It was a really nice lunch except I couldn't stay long because the maintenance man was scheduled to come. I took pictures while he cleaned. And sewed up a few pillowcases. After he left and my kitchen was smelling sweet again. I went to another grocery store.
Success I found a rolling pin - but no pie plates.
Fine. I'm getting very good at what I can and can't compromise. A rectangle pie is as good as it gets.
Rolled out the dough between parchment paper, put my cut up apples and cinnamon in the rectangle  "pie" tins and covered the top with another layer. Pie in the Philippines
Of course I don't know how the pie will taste, but that is for another day...........

No comments: