Pages

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Hugs are powerful

When I learned that my sister-in-law Becky May had passed away I was in the Dental Clinic and the day was almost over. I went back to inform the Stewarts that their missionary had arrived and Sister Stewart immediately came out of the operatory to ask me what was wrong. She gave me a very long hug and some consoling words about the death in the family. A little later Sister Whitehead gave me a really nice hug with her loving smile and some words. Sister Stinchfield came up to the front and gave me a hug too. Those hugs were really necessary to my well-being and comfort.

An article from Dr. Mercola describes hugs benefits:
A 10-second hug a day can lead to biochemical and physiological reactions in your body that can significantly improve your health. According to one study, this includes:6
Lower risk of heart diseaseStress reductionFight fatigue
Boost your immune systemFight infectionsEase depression
The article quoted the Huffington post neurologist Shekar Raman, MD, saying:
 "A hug, pat on the back, and even a friendly handshake are processed by the reward center in the central nervous system, which is why they can have a powerful impact on the human psyche, making us feel happiness and joy… And it doesn't matter if you're the toucher or touchee. The more you connect with others -- on even the smallest physical level -- the happier you'll be."

Though not from strangers as that leads to stress and anxiety. Here is the article if you are interested.

Now with the news about President Monson a lot more of us will need some hugs - from trusted loved ones - some 10 second hugs - which is actually a long hug.

No comments: