Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Rewards of Visiting Teaching

On Thursday we visited some ladies in a "Visiting Teaching" role and acquired more ladies as we went along. Soon there were five ladies at the Bishop's house talking and watching kids. I was asked if I had ever been to Taytay and a trip was planned for Saturday morning to go. It turned out to be only three of us as the others had commitments elsewhere.
Sister Henry, I, and Sister Nido in a fabric shop. The stacks behind are sold in kilo lots even though the material comes in remnants of 2 to 3 and a half yards

Sister Nida Nido has lived in Antioch just 10 miles away from my home in Concord. She met her husband there and they have homes in both countries. Sister June Henry is a widow, she met her husband in California in the San Diego area and had a son. After her husband died she came back to the Philippines and her son joined the church and got her activated again. He will be coming home from his mission in March and she can tell us the day and hour she will see him again.
I had phun using a taxi to find Sister Nido's house in the pre-dawn but everything worked out fine. We had a quick trip to Taytay as the traffic was light and so much fun talking, laughing and sharing the day!
Sister Nido and I. She has let me tag along in all her visiting teaching and received a warm welcome from many ladies because of her friendship

All of us bought something and encouraged the others to 'get' what they were looking for. The very essence of sisterhood. They negotiated all the prices for me, Sister Henry got my shoes down to 750 pesos in the right size and Sister Nido dickered the price to 960 pesos for 15 yards of fabric. I encouraged Sister Nido to get her blouse and we went back for a dress for her mom, I told Sister Henry to 'go for it' on a dress she was looking at.  We estimated and figured out how much material the shopping bags Sister Nido wanted to make would take to sew up. I did warn her that math is not my strong suit. I'm hoping that 10 yards is not too much. If it is, I'll buy three yards off of her and make it into pillowcases.
Sister Henry and I hit it off big time. I still can't tell how old she is as she has that ageless Asian face. I think we are around the same age - but who knows?
The trip back was long as traffic was at it's regular high point. Chatting and sharing stories and ideas made the time pass quickly. I can't wait to see them again.

No comments: