Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Little Hike Up to the Bat Caves


 Our guide Robert took us down a road through the flat plains where we saw a lone buck antelope who was very wary of us. The antelope were the only animals we saw besides the birds. Lots of bird rustling in the trees.

I am not sure what the name of the "hill" or rock or cave that we next explored. But Robert told us about a place where the king sat, another cave where he slept and a place where the people would meet. He said that the guards would look out over the plain to watch for other tribes coming. We climbed up through the rocks and snarly tree branches or roots and I couldn't help but think about how much fun the grandkids would have exploring the rocks. As we climbed higher and higher through the rocks, I realized that this was not really a safe place for children and even adults at times. With my bum ankle I didn't even try the last few yards. I just took pictures of what I observed.

Climbing up to the 'hill' and caves was cool and like walking up steps. I did have to be aware of the branches that trip me up and also the gravel between the rocks

The Grands would have loved it here!

We came to a series of huge boulders leaning against each other with huge crevasse and cave formations

Ducking between the boulders

Working out way up the 'hill' through the boulders

Up, up through the rocks and branch, roots. I thought they looked a little like snakes and would pause to make sure they didn't have eyes

So nice of Jeffrey to carry my stuff so I could use my hands to navigate

They finally got to a place I wasn't willing to dare as one slip would mean hardship for me, so I gave Jeffrey my camera and explored the rest of the area around me. It was cool and very smelly in this part though I could not see the bats there was all kinds of life in these rocks

Going up, up to the higher caves and rocks

Robert, Lorinda, Nathan and Jeffrey went on up to the top and described a precipitous to climb over, smelly cave they did not go in and a great look out


Too bad I can't give you the smell of the caves - yuk - I think this is bat guano.  I had an urge to wash my hands when I got back to the car

I tried to figure out if these were branches of trees or roots from the top

Robert on his way back from the top of the cave

In some places the grass was short and in other places it could hide a lion

We met Elder and Sister Kacher hiking through the plains in the heat of the day. Very brave.

Talking with Elder Kacher

Jeffrey's pictures of the further adventures up the rocks into the caves and up to the top

Cave to the right they didn't enter, rocks to skirt and climb around

Place where the king sat

View from the top - you can see for miles

From the top of this "hill" you can see the first "hill" we explored
After coming home, I googled information about this place and what the names of the 'hills' and caves were. I also wanted to know about the history and found very little information other than tour places showing that you can come here. Most of what we learned was oral history.

Looking for the names of the "hills" I found:

 

“The hills which were inhabited were Adwuku, Sayu, Manya and Hieowayo hills.” 


http://amedzofevillage.com/en/2016/04/14/shai-hills-resource-reserve/ 


But no maps of which is which, only climbing posts about how hard or easy each 'hill' was.

No comments: