Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Road Trip - Tidbits of Interest

 On the way down the coast I saw an interesting sight and made a vow to photograph it on the way back. The day was waning but I still got my pictures.

Every platform sold the same blue cubes - I found out later they are Shea - butter, nuts, portions - I'm not sure as I didn't buy one. Shea is used in cosmetics, face moisturizer, and cooking.

Every stand sold the same thing and would women, sometimes men put their hand out like this woman and wave you down

The only difference I could see were the names under each platform, though this person in the middle sold something different - but that could be shea nuts on top.

Often if a small village sold watermelons, then all the stands sold watermelons, or bananas, shea packages, etc.

Bread and soda were the primary things sold in this village

Some structures were not made of cement. It looks like they are made out of mud. I don't know if they made mud bricks and then made the building or if they shaped it as they went along. It looks like there are wooden poles between the layers. We didn't stop, so I could only see at a glance. One village seemed to be entirely made up of this kind of mud bricks.

Since I did not have permission to take their picture (driving past) I blurred out their faces so they aren't recognizable. I am fascinated by the ability of these women to carry a baby on their back and a large load on their head, while walking an uneven path. How do they do it? Is it perfect posture? Practice since they are born? Expectation?

Momma's everywhere have hands free - to hold another child's hand

Burning takes care of garbage and clearing a field. One smells much better.

On our way back from Cape Three Points, Brent stopped by the side of the road and showed us a rubber plantation. 
Large tract of trees with a 'stripe' down the bark where the sap would drip into a bucket
One new ridge was just below an old ridge that had "healed" up


This is the pile of sap that will be vulcanized and made into rubber

Where "canoes" are made. Rumor has it that the bottom of the boats are made from one tree so they are whole. Then other layers are added.



Great conversations in the car and fascinating moving bits as we traveled along.

No comments: