Pages

Friday, January 1, 2021

No Blind Following

 Reading through the Book of Mormon, I have always been fascinated with Nephi and his brothers reactions to the same circumstances and how they were so different. Why? Why would Nephi strive ahead in a no win situation?

"....having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me..."  Link

I'm thinking Nephi wanted more than to just "follow the prophet". Knowing why a prophet says what he does will be of more value to youth and adults, than merely staying at the Primary level of obedience in "Follow the prophet". 

All of the sons of Lehi followed him to the promised land and they and their posterity benefited immensely because of their 'obedience'. They spread out and covered the promised land scooping up previous residents into their midst.  

But all those mentioned in the Book of Mormon who applied themselves to God and His commandments were visited of Him - Nephi, Jacob, Enos, Alma(s), etc., etc. down to Mormon and Moroni with the greater understanding of why. They all experienced miracles and blessings and were of great benefit to those around them.

Picture source

Knowing the why of President Nelson's, "A higher and holier way of ministering", "Home centered - Church supported", and "Hear Him" statements and advice is critical to heeding and listening, and then acting. Roadblocks are going to arise i.e. COVID 19, etc. but if I ask God and, "cry unto the Lord", I will gain understanding and know how President Nelson's advice is applicable to me personally. I will be able to accomplish the true reason of why his advice was given.

Miracles can occur when the why of a prophet's advice is understood. Just as Nephi was able to bring back the brass plates to his father when it was an impossible task, invent a bow, guide, direct in an unknown wilderness, then build a ship that took the family and all of their belongings across the ocean. (I built a raft with my brother once, I have great admiration for someone who can build a seaworthy vessel.) 

Lord, help my desire to understand and know the mysteries of God.

No comments: