Pages

Friday, January 1, 2021

Helping with Experiment

 Sister Hymas went on a little trip this last week and dropped off an experiment for me to tend while she was gone. Some children who live on the top floor of our apartment building asked her to watch their watermelon plant experiment. They were headed to the States for a few weeks. 

How will this all turn out?

Sometimes these vines get tangled with other plants - Am I suppose to let them or separate them?

He looks just fine on his own

Experiment on my balcony


Three planter cups with one seed, three seeds, and eight seeds, The experiment is to see which one grows better, with neighbors or without.  In the interest of fairness in this experiment, I have given each the same amount of water and then I rotate where they are on the balcony because the air-conditioner gives a steady flow of warm air over the whole balcony. I don't want one plant getting more hot air than the one at the back. I figure if penguins can rotate from the back to the front of their colony for warmth, these plants can do the same for flowing air.

1 comment:

Ludlows said...

When you said the experiment was to see if the plants grow better with or without neighbors. I immediately thought of people. How we grow better with others and of the African proverb of you want to go fast go alone, if you want to go far go together. Maybe watermelon plants are different though.