Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Manifestation of God's hand

 I have all these half finished posts but......I had to tell you about my witness today.

In one of my jobs, I and four other remote couples work under the direction of Elder and Sister Munk YSA missionaries, as transition coach for returning missionaries to a covenant path in regular life. My job usually consists of urging missionaries to make a plan, find support or mentors, and ask God in mighty prayer for help in the coming months. 

Elder and Sister Phillips take their charge seriously and have come up with a "Pay It Forward" plan that is helping in a substantial way for missionaries to take charge of their life. Tonight I got to witness another of their stories.

Back in November, I was asked to greet Sister Dadzie when she got home from her mission and give her a package from the Phillips. We met and I found her to be a really nice lady. About a week or so ago, the Phillips asked me to find some kind of help for Sister Dadzie because she was having problems with depression. Being completely clueless on how to find phone numbers for services I'm not sure where to ask, I asked the elder's quorum president (they are usually in charge of temporal help for ward members) because I figured he would know what steps need to be taken to get to the right person. 

Here is where the story took a right turn. Dumevi (our elder's quorum president) works in the hospital or clinic and personally made an appointment for Sister Dadzie that week. He estimated a sum that sounded very workable so I told the Phillips who had said they would take care of four visits. I gave Dumevi the cost of the estimated visit.

I felt a little confused when the receipts started coming in as the cost was much higher than was expected and even had an MRI scheduled for next week. But tonight, when Dumevi sat down and told me what had been actually spent (medicines and lab costs) and that the doctor gave his consult for free because Dumevi asked him to check out his friend, my heart was glad. I am pretty sure Dumevi gave her the cost of transportation when he brought her to his home and then the hospital. The other receipts were for estimated costs of an MRI and EEG (some brain scan thing) because she had been having seizures.

Jeffrey immediately gave him the remaining money to use for the work next week. I pondered on all I learned tonight. I knew the Phillips had been on a mission to Sarajevo and then accepted this remote mission when they found out Sister Phillips has a condition that will leave her in a very bad way in about 8 or 9 years. Already her speech has been affected. Since they had plans to go on another mission, they are using the funds for that mission on their missionaries "Pay It Forward" plans.

Dumevi has told me a few times, "there are no coincidences in God's timing." The fact that Sister Dadzie was a returning missionary in the  mission the Phillips are in charge of. The fact that Sister Dadzie told them about her depression and they wanted to help. The fact that I "happened" to call Dumevi who works for doctors who take care of the brain. The fact that the Phillips had no idea that she was having seizures but said they would take care of four visits. The fact that if the doctors find a simple cure that the Phillips will have saved her. The fact that if it is a long term no-win situation, they are the perfect people to talk to. I am just fortunate to be in a position to witness this unfolding story of God's manifestation.





No comments: