Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Strength of the Lord

 Life is complicated in Africa, so we all take precautions to have it run smoothly. We told those who wanted to send items to Utah to have them at the apartment by 4 pm. Everything came together, and the last suitcase weighed 48 lbs. which is the sweet spot that Susie informs me usually works well on most airport’s weigh equipment. Rebekah mentioned that she didn’t mind waiting longer in the airport if we wanted to leave early just in case, Susie said she would love to go early, and I was happy not to drive too much in the dark, so we set off at 5:30 pm for flights scheduled after 10 pm (one was 10:45). Rebekah was flying to Amsterdam then to Salt Lake City and Susie's schedule was to New York, then Detroit, then Salt Lake City. 

The traffic down Independence Avenue was a gridlock parking lot from the bridge to the airport. My anxiety translates into silent prayers and when cut off and squished between cars becomes out loud prayers for a minute. Changing lanes was a nightmare and aggressive drivers were cutting people off, but mostly we were all just waiting for someone to move. After an hour we had not gone the 6.4 kilometers to arrive and had only 200 more meters to go for the last turn on to Airport Road, when I finally asked Susie to give us a group prayer. Wow, her prayers are powerful and deep. She asked for peace, for the ability to do what we needed to do, for me to get home in safety and calmness and that they would have a good journey. Which are the brief cliff notes of her wonderful prayer. The traffic immediately moved forward, and we got to our turn. After dropping them off and shouting goodbye through the window, I had to ask for help to get out because someone decided to park instead of just dropping off, and I was trapped by another car in back who couldn’t move either, but after leaving the airport I had smooth sailing and hit almost all the lights green in light traffic.  I worried about another couple who were supposed to be going to Salt Lake City and didn’t plan to leave until 7 pm.

My thoughts turned to Susie and her long journey, especially the fact that she would get home late and in the dark, so I pleaded with God to help her get home as efficiently and expeditiously as possible. I kept thinking how great it would be for her to go straight to Utah instead of waiting in Detroit and then to Salt Lake City. I ran into an Elder who told me the story of being trapped in the elevator with the other couple’s luggage for 40 minutes! The door would not open, and he has claustrophobia, not good. They didn’t have trouble with the traffic until Airport Road but made it by 8:30 pm. I kept wondering if they made it on the flight as Susie described extra luggage and body checks by both the airport and the airline. She said she didn't see them on the plane.

 I went to sleep with a prayer that both Rebekah and Susie would get home efficiently and safely. A little after 6:30 am I got a text that Rebekah landed in Amsterdam where she waited for two and a half hours before leaving for Salt Lake City. Just a little after that around 10 am (my time) Susie texts the good news that she has landed. About 11:20 am (my time) she texts that she is boarding a plane to Salt Lake City! She asked for a stand by flight and they put her on the next one.

Image from the internet

It was an amazing story because she had to go through customs, get her luggage and go back through security then run to the terminal gate to get on the plane – in less than two hours! I know God was listening to my prayers. She had a passport app on her phone that allowed her to bypass the long line at customs, and then a crew member showed her a way to get to her terminal fast. I know it is because she is always kind and friendly – even when she is stressed and tired.

The other couple was a little ahead of her at customs but got to the gate when the plane door was shut and had to wait three hours for another flight to Salt Lake City.

Susie landed before noon in Salt Lake City, then found her luggage went to Atlanta and will come later….tonight, tomorrow, whenever. I had to laugh as I had not given a thought or prayer to her luggage or the items coming back for other people. She told me as she was driving home that she thinks maybe that is God’s answer to her concerns of lifting, lugging, and hauling it around to put it in her car. Now Delta will bring it to her door. I just have to tell you my grateful prayers today were a little teary as I realized how great He is blessing and watching out over us.

No comments: