Pages

Monday, April 4, 2022

Another Aspect of the Story



Juliet came over this morning to prepare lunches for the Senior Missionaries on Tuesday. Her fridge is not working at the moment, so I store it in my fridge overnight and take it to the Ancillary Building in the morning. I wanted to make it easy for Juliet to keep track of her orders - though she really has a great memory! It is when orders are almost similar that she gets into a little bit of trouble. 

 We found that it was easy for Juliet to check different amounts when I used a marker for the different items in each order so she would prepare what is needed. I had to laugh when she was almost done and wanted to call the Eastmonds. They changed their order! It was nice because we were able to add some chicken and other things to make it work out just fine.

Juliet started thanking me again for all the assistance and help. (She does almost every time) I can only take two thank yous and then I started thanking her and telling her that this all from God because he told me that I was the answer that she had been praying for when I asked Him to bless her. I am only assisting and figuring out how to cope in the country and be of help to someone here.

I had been praying during General Conference that I could be of meaningful help to someone. Juliet told me today --  that over a year ago the Bishop in their ward had changed. She said she had been praying very hard and doing what she could, and she told God that she did not want to go in for Fast Offerings. She said she prayed and I came into her life. 


I have been reflecting today about how God was answering my prayer to find meaningful service the first Sunday I got here when I met her. He was answering my prayer when I felt the need to help her business but I could only eat so many peanuts or peanut butter and "impulsively" asked her to show me how to cook Ghanaian food.

That first day, I watched in amazement as she took out the groceries and made lots of food - that was VERY spicy. That's when I divvied up the food with Dumevi as the guide and driver and she as the cook and set a precedent by having her take home all the groceries that were left over. I remember looking at the red palm oil and some of the other green vegetables knowing I had no idea what to do with them. She had the means to make some more meals. I had no feeling, impression, or idea that I was helping God fulfill her prayers not to go to the Bishop for help. God gave her the means to help herself.

The super exciting news is that Kelvin got a job in the MTC as a teacher!  He is in school (because his mother paid the fees) and now is working at the MTC. He and another teacher will switch of days and nights every three weeks for each batch. So he will get three weeks ahead in school and then switch with the other teacher while he goes to school and works at night. I can only surmise that this is going to be exciting and very tough. The odds of him being a teacher are about 1 in 300 as so many missionaries apply when they get home. Even when it was down to 1 in 5, I told Juliet he would be teaching in the MTC if God wanted him to be there. Wow!

No comments: