Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Brownies in the oven

 I have brownies baking in the oven while I catch up a little on my blog journaling.  Jeffrey and I have been counting our blessings and the fact that we can even live in Africa for this time. We are experiencing some things that some of our friends will not be able to do, which makes us grateful that we can.



I am not sure what I have already written and which is the stuff just left behind. I have a thing about meetings starting on time - or close to the time. Tonight we have another Wednesday "Come Follow Me" class that is suppose to start at 6:30. Hence the fact that I am making brownies. Rewarding those who come on time with treats worked well for the little children in the Philippines and I am testing out the theory in Africa.

Last week I brought brownies and Walker said that Prince would be there in 5 minutes if he knew they were being served. I told them he better get here in five minutes because I was going to put the treats away at 6:45. Walker called Prince and he arrived around 6:50 which was too bad because I had zipped the remaining in my backpack at 6:45. I really think that Prince (and some of the others) thought I'd give the treats out at the end. Nope. My goal was to reward those coming on time. When I was questioned I told Prince I would freeze them and bring them to the YSA activity on Saturday - which I did. Bottom line - now everyone knows I mean what I say. Lets see who is there at 6:30 tonight.

Good Stars!! I looked over my posts and found I didn't even start to write about the HUGE adventure we had with the YSA on Saturday. Ok, next post. 

This week has been so filled and its only Wednesday. Some of it is sheer frustration because my Outlook that the church does all its business on is dumping me off every 2 to 20 minutes. It is super frustrating because my role as a zone secretary requires LOTS of emails, invites, and meeting scheduling that is all done on the Outlook page. Getting out the Sister Scripture Study info and weekly calendar was hard enough, but then when it got moved to a different room and a different zoom link on Tuesday while I kept getting booted off Outlook was too annoying for words. Some of the sisters got part of the information and didn't get the rest. That makes me sad. But the Zone/Area Conference scheduled for next week has got me worried. I still haven't sent out the invite because of my connectivity issues.

Then our apartment was fumigated - good - but complicated by the time issues - took longer of course. Juliet came over on Monday to make lunches for Tuesday. She has added a new element - samosas. I brought home three orders of samosas and thawed one. Juliet was able to try it and then the senior missionaries wanted some.  I thawed out the other batches so Juliet could give the missionaries some. I had to have a serious chat about the costs because 30 of them cost 50 cedis and then there is the oil it is fried in also. She wanted to charge 2 cedis each. I went through the whole math and said when she is buying the ingredients she is going to be in the hole. So we worked it out to 3 cedis each. 

Wisdom called and wants to sell me something in the future but hasn't finished the things I have already ordered. He is backsliding into old habits of asking for money without giving out the goods. I have to figure out how to handle that one again. Three of us pitched in to help him pay his daughter's high school fees. He said he would pay that back soon. I'm not sure how he is going to pay anything back as he needs money to live on now. I hate confrontations but I'm just a little tired of being the ATM.

One super great thing was Sister Scripture Study today. Sister Martinez had the ICS working on putting up her PowerPoint and zoom meeting on the screens at the front of the room. While the men worked on that she went around the room and gave a heartfelt hug to each sister. Oh my did that feel good! It has been so long since I've given and received hugs because of the pandemic that I have almost forgotten how good it is to have a hug.




No comments: