Pages

Monday, April 25, 2022

Sustainability

 I was a little overwhelmed by the response I got back from an email I sent out, so I'll just share the story in emails:

Original:

Dear Friends,

 What do you want for your Tuesday Lunch?  I will be asking on Saturdays now because Juliet is usually all done cooking by noon or 1 o’clock on Monday morning. Her fridge is kaput so she cooks at my house and I bring over the food on Tuesday morning.

I am not sure what will happen in June when I leave, though I know God will answer her prayers. She may have to find a new job. If someone wants to go in on a fridge I am happy to donate to the cause but I do not want to be in charge or responsible for it. Juliet found one for 1500 cedis – which is way beyond her ability to save up for.....(the rest of the email about items available for lunch)

Answers:

Dear Linda Ann – 

I think it is a marvelous idea to help Juliet buy a new fridge.  Count us in.  Emmy is happy to collect donations and give the money to Juliet if you wish.

Warm regards,

Richard 

__________

Jerie JacobsCount us in!

Pat WoodburyWe are happy help too  Follow up email: One more thought. Has anyone verified that the fridge she found is ok? It may be good to help her verify it’s something that will last a while. 

Marla OlsenWe are happy to help 

_________

Thanks Linda Ann for getting the ball rolling on this. I will talk to Juliet on Tuesday. 

I agree with Woodbury’s that we need to try to get one that will last. I will try to figure this out with Juliet and get a better idea on cost. I will keep you posted and then hope to wrap this up quickly....donations in by the end of the week? Again, I will know more after Tuesday and let you know.  

How wonderful to see this group step in and help in this and so many other ways....it is a privilege to be here with you.

 Warmly,

Emmy 

______
Lori and Eric Derr:
Linda & Emmy,

Lori & I are happy to contribute whatever is left owing for the fridge after everyone else contributes. Give it a week and see what you come up with.

However, I do want to sit down with Juliet and have a heart to heart with her on her business plan and map some things out with her.

Has she ever taken a “Start & Grow My Business” self-reliance course before?

________

Follow up email from the Derrs:

Good morning, all!

We included some screen shots of locally available fridges that look like what she is considering 

As mentioned previously, we are very willing to help, including sitting down with her once a month as a mentor if no one is filling this role, such that she can become self reliant. 

We are also very convinced of the importance of paying these things forward and allowing recipients of goodwill the opportunity to participate so they feel a sense of self reliance.

Perhaps there is already a plan in place, but some ideas :

"teaching catering skills in her stake YSA gathering place for a semester each year" 

Or 

"involving her bishop and/or stake president... to meet and discuss...even give the gift anonymously...and review the importance of faith and being honest with the lord in tithes and offerings such that promised blessings can flow...and develop a plan for self reliance"

Or

"A plan to donate 20 ghc of profits per week to her ward as fast offerings such that after 75 weeks she will have 'paid it forward', empowering her with greater confidence and self respect "

Or

?? 

Just a few thoughts...please let us know what you need. 

Thank you all for your examples of lifting others!

[This is followed by internet pictures of refrigerators available within the same costs]

_______

 JoAnn MunkCount in the Munks to help the project.

Elaine Youngberg: Count the Youngbergs in too

My Reply:

My beloved friends, 

I’ve had a few tears of gratitude this afternoon as I tried to tell Jeffrey of the support and generosity shown by all of you in support of Juliet.

Having Emmy in charge and talking with Juliet will be wonderful. The Derr’s have such excellent advice about fridges they researched and the willingness to sit down with Juliet and teach her self-reliant principles. I feel it is a really good idea to tell her of my heart felt desire that her business and livelihood continue after I am gone – which I will do on Monday. I will not say anything about the fridge and leave that in Emmy’s capable hands. It might be a really good idea to have the classes with her husband also and make him part of the business. Emmy would know about the Bishop and Sake President of their ward and who should be involved and how. I love the idea of a pay-it-forward approach too! If the Derr’s and Emmy want to talk together and figure that out, it would be great. It is amazing what happens when everyone uses their particular talents to bless the lives of those in our circle. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I feel you are the answer to my prayers about Juliet. My great appreciation to you and to God!

Warm regards,

Linda Ann Adams

More replies the next day

Irene Eastmond: We want to help too.

 We do have another concern.  We had a Relief Society President in Cotonou who had a big beautiful refrigerator, but she couldn’t pay the power bill to keep it running.  That is a real issue here.  Refrigerators are big power eaters.  Will she be able to keep it going?  Is the power steady enough where she lives that power surges won’t burn it up?  Will she have a generator possibility if the power does go out?  Will she use it all week long, or only on cooking days?  How is she going to manage all that goes into having a refrigerator?  I have visions in my head of a premature baby ward in the DR Congo.  There were a dozen donated incubators in the room, but only one that worked.  All had been taken out because there was no generator to cover their operation when the power went off and then resurged when it came back on… There were 15 babies being rotated through that one working incubator, two at a time.  Just practical things to think about.  And perhaps the conditions are totally different here.  Whatever you decide we will support.

 [Eastmonds have come to Africa on their own and have served 3 missions]

Bob Jacobs:  Surge protectors are available for 40 cedis –

Pat Woodbury: Elder and Sister Eastman,

GREAT input. These are very important considerations.  Your humanitarian training is kicking in. 

We agree with you on these issues, and it is worth investigating.  There will be more issues if the initial concerns about the power, generator etc are not addressed first.

These are valid concerns here in Accra as well, we would concur in these concerns.

 Ross YoungbergWe just flew in from Liberia this morning.   We are also happy to help with the frig purchase. 

_______ 

This is all great input! Thank you! I will talk to the Derr’s and keep you all posted!

Thank you!

Emmy



No comments: