Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Wli Falls

 After resting, eating and cleaning up, we all got back in the van and car and set off again.

The second adventure for the day was hiking up to Wli Falls. It is touted as the highest waterfall in West Africa. I had already gone to those waterfalls last April but didn't realize until this time that there is an upper and lower falls and I had just gone to the lower falls. The young adults wanted to go the whole way. Knowing how hot I got last time I wasn't even tempted to go with them. I was a little concerned because they were starting out so late in the afternoon and I knew it would get dark at 6 pm and we still needed to drive back to Accra.

On the other hand, this may be the only time these kids will get a chance to go. Many have never been and may not get another chance for many years. Jeffrey and I gave no advice.

Jeffrey set off with the young adults going over seven bridges until they got to the falls. I knew they would make it just fine - if I can get there - any of them could make the hike.




Jeffrey's description of the fun they had was wonderful! He took about 200 pictures. I would imagine the kids really like looking through them on the google photos site. I'm just telling the story so I am not putting up even a 10th of the photos taken this day.

It turns out that six or seven of them decided to climb up to the upper falls. They started out. When we got word back at the base, I and the driver of the van were very concerned as the time factor was bad. It was bad enough that they were dallying at the pool and falls, but to wait for the six or seven to get back from the upper falls would put us way into the night getting back. Luckily before they had gone very far they were told to go back as it was too far and too close to dark.

They all got back with various tales to tell and some were still a bit damp. But there was no damping the spirits of these kids! They were laughing and playing with each other and obviously had a terrific time.

We started out after the sun slipped the horizon but the road was still visible, but shortly it was full night. The potholes were just as bad or worse because sometimes they weren't seen until we landed in them. It's like going over a speed bump without slowing down. We arrived at the church at 11 pm, unpacked, went home and fell in bed.

At Sunday the next day we heard testimonies about the spiritual experiences they had hiking up a difficult mountain. Life is good.



No comments: