Pages

Saturday, November 25, 2017

A feast

On Saturday the Senior Missionaries had a Thanksgiving dinner with everyone bringing something to the table. It was a fantastic feast. We were able to listen and watch some young men and women from the Purple Centers (special schools that have been organized for disadvantaged children) sing to us in Tagolog and English. One group wore their native dress.  I believe they came in thanks for the church's assistance in sending food to their schools.
I broke down and forgot for a minute the difference between pity and compassion when we were shown the videos that will play during December in the "Light the World" campaign or between conference sessions. It was much too close to home and instead of "them" I kept picturing my ward members. There are so Many needs of basic life sustaining and surviving in my everyday life.  I have to beat it into my head that compassion is working with talented, striving people for their benefit and not cry at the thousands who don't have what I consider a good life - or life.  It was a little hard to pick up a plate and fill it to the brim while images of struggle and want danced in my head.
Elder Bowen (the Area president) gave us a short talk and one of the things he talked about was our married relationships. I can testify that going on a mission is like an extended honeymoon with a really good friend. I have gotten to know, appreciate, respect and love Jeffrey in much more depth because of the experiences we are having.
So I came home and began campaigning what I'm going to be doing for Christmas giving this year.....


No comments: