Pages

Friday, November 17, 2017

Phun and Fun

So much has gone on the last week that I've been living life at a fast clip and haven't taken the time to record anything. As I am so far behind I'll just jump in today and do some posts of yesterdays as I get caught up.

My street contact evolved into a continuing association with a doctor, a nurse, and fun at the pharmacy. There are actually two kinds of fun here. One kind of fun leaves you smiling, the other kind is interesting and usually educational and we spell it phun, sometimes it causes helpless laughter. My phun at the pharmacy is not being able to actually ask for what I want and describing what I'm looking for to someone who looks at me blankly. That is phun. We did establish that I needed antiseptic cream and I took what she offered. Now the interesting part is that the pharmacy gives you "pieces" of gauze (individually wrapped)  and little tubes of ointment so the cost only came to 192 pesos - not quite $4.
The educational part comes from visiting an American doctor at the Area office who gave me some advise on how to take care of my infected knee, but from now on I will write down the specific name of any medicine, ointment, or cream that is suggested.
Actually if there is a next time, I will probably go to my Tagalog speaking friends and ask what they use for their children. I'm not sure why I went to the American doctor who cannot practice only advise.
Itty bitty tube that looks like what the hospital uses when babies are born except in a cream form

The fun is Activity Days!
Last night we had our first Tininkling dance practice and I think the children were surprised how much effort it takes to dance. Jonah set me up with a real dancer, I'm pretty sure she is a ballerina. She holds herself like one and is very graceful. Sharon Perez (the teacher) asked by Jonah to come teach our kids the basics of the Tininkling dance. She showed the kids form, style and then the basic steps. They were exhausted and she just kept dancing.  She has two small children that wanted her attention and she danced with them in arms at times. Sister Sharon is a really good teacher and took the steps in small bites.  I'll get pictures up in a few days.

The other fun was our Primary program!!!
Primary children after Sacrament meeting waiting for their spaghetti lunch
It is so amazing - every time - to watch rambunctious, distracted children at practices, speak on the Sunday performance and give a really spiritual thought and idea. My job at the practices was to remind the children that the chapel is a place to worship God not a playground. I didn't allow any bench walking or climbing and tried to have the children walk not run down the aisles.
On Sunday they did a fantastic job!
Traditions are a little different, last year all the girls had new dresses that matched, this year the girls got head pieces and the boys got matching ties. Too bad I used a missionary tie as the pattern as they were all too long. Phun. After the wonderful performance they went to a shortened sharing and class time, then met in the cultural hall to get their picture taken and then had a spaghetti lunch and treats. In California I witnessed doughnuts given in a combined Sharing Time and then the children all went to class. In Quinerro first ward the parents all gathered round and talked with the children about how they did and everyone ate and talked for an hour or more.
Life is good!!

No comments: