Pages

Friday, November 24, 2017

Lisa

The smell of baking bread is wafting through the apartment as I sit down to check my email. My mind is filled with the images of Lisa Lambert and all that she means to me. The last time I saw her she was bringing freshly baked cinnamon bread to my door. I didn't expect to see her at all that trip as we were only in town for one day and I knew she was off to Oakland, San Francisco (or something like that) so it was a happy surprise to see her at the door. EVERYONE likes to be greeted with a loaf of homemade bread. Night had already fallen, it was August so it must have been late.

I remember Lisa as young mother of three when she had a class Christmas party at her home. She asked each of us to be in charge of one room where we did activities or told the children stories or history. Lisa had done a LOT of prep work with little details (like individual bags of goodies) that made the day spectacular.
Lisa is a very hard worker with goals in mind and one of the most evident is her love of the Savior and a desire to do good.
I have a smile when I remember Kylie as a baby being warmed up in the Lambert's van at night while camping. Lisa's patience and love is an example to all mothers.
Lisa was highly effective in the Dare Program and at assemblies at the school, especially during Red Ribbon week. As a secretary children knew they could be doctored and taken care of when she was there.

Her whole bout with devastating cancer, prognosis and her stoicism is a huge testimony to me of her willingness to follow the Savior's example and to always look for His miracles and blessings. Her cheerful outlook (even if it was only skin deep at times) and the ability to find the nuggets of grace from God is a characteristic I am still trying to implement in my life.

Her sheer ability to run along and live life to the fullest without self-pity or restraint is amazing and wonderful. She continues to put on musical programs, teach classes, feed her family and friends, enable many people to live life more fully, and is thoughtful and caring to all in her orbit.

A few times when I've been stymied by some rocks in my road, I think about Lisa Lambert and follow her example. One image that popped into my mind when my arm refused to work, was Lisa typing away with her left hand - a letter to her missionary son. I used that and soon came to realize how many clicks to open, choose, and select can all be done with the left hand. I save the right for typing words and names.

One of Lisa's most prominent characteristics is her ability to look, expect and find miracles. Being on this mission has showed me the enabling power of the Savior and I think Lisa walks hand in hand with her friend Jesus Christ who showers her with blessings as He lifts her along her stony path. I'm working to be like her and have a friendship with the Redeemer as she does.



As a postscript: I have many friends. Maost I take note of and follow their example. My journal would not be complete without my witnesses of their wonderful lives.

No comments: