Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Non-butterfly tree - Nope, Not Snowy Orchid - another Orchid?

This is the flower of the tree that has leaves like a butterfly. I actually found the name of the type of leaf on google: bilobed. These flowers are not the Snowy Orchid. But they do have a orchid look....

 When I googled bilobed leaf orchid trees, I found this one for sale on this site.

Is it the same?

This is called Bauhinia monandra or Pink Orchid tree. I think that is good enough for me. It is similar enough to be the same species.  But you should have seen me getting the picture. Luckily there were only two people far away on the grounds. I stood up on a planter box and pulled down a branch so I could take a picture of the flowers. I would only be noticeable if people were going to the temple, but I didn't see anyone in the near vicinity. 

Interestingly, I did find two trees flanking the Area office building that I think ARE Snowy Orchid trees. The leaves are long and then come out into a wide leaf - but not butterfly shaped.

No comments: