Pages

Monday, March 29, 2021

Celebrate the birthday of Relief Society

 

Such a fun day! A fancy cake with a chicken and rice lunch with friends.

The ladies had a party during Relief Society today, I was in a family history class but came after church to join in the festivities. This ward knows how to throw a party!

Isn't this a cool looking cake! This is our Relief Society president Sister Grace cutting out the back of it and that is why the little guy is so interested.

Dressing up for Church today

All the ladies came in blue, gold, and yellow to help celebrate the birthday of Relief Society. I took an old blue dress and sewed on a bit of African fabric over the shoulder and put different yellow fabrics in squares at the bottom. We all sat on one side of the chapel and then stood up one time to recited the Relief Society motto. Of course the minute I stood up, my mind said, "We are daughters of ...." but no, I had to read the motto with the other women as I do not have it memorized [Have I read it before?].
Then after two testimonies, we sang Love at Home in Twi. I mouthed it as I didn't want to mumble anything wrong.  I think the Bishop thought I knew what I was doing. Nope, just joining the crowd. One of the men took a video and walked down the chair isle - so someone has a record of that cool song in Twi. Sister Addy and two others sang one verse by themselves and we all ended with the chorus.  Sister Grace had a great message. The Bishop thanked me in his remarks for giving him some ties he felt were a support for the Relief Society - I won't disillusion him. I had them made up because the fabric was so cool and I wanted to share. I just happen to give them to him the night before the Relief Society celebration. But there is always next year when I could have some made up for that real purpose.

Having a Party

Instead of going in to Relief Society today, I did my usual family History class with the youth. Today it was the young men. Jeffrey wasn't there as he was in the Ivory Coast, and I sure felt the lack of his organization and notes. Anyway, we could hear the Relief Society laughing, talking and having a good time in their class. Afterwards I went in and they gave me a catered chicken and rice dinner and they had a very fancy cake to share with everyone. The room had balloons, streamers from the fans whirling around, ribbons and streamers on the doors, boards and knobs, and tables. Most of the women were in blue, gold, and yellow and everyone was chattering away in three different languages. Very small children were running in and out and finding the cake table. It was a grand celebration.

No comments: