Pages

Friday, November 12, 2021

Drove out to Swedru

 Elder and Sister Phillips asked me for a favor for their returning missionary. I missed her when she landed in Accra, so Jeffrey and I went out to Swedru to find her. The trip was a whole adventure by itself. One, Jeffrey was feeling ill and so I drove. He made a special effort because I didn't want to travel alone. Two, driving in Ghana is complicated. 

Police Checks

There were eight possibilities for police pull-overs, only two actually slowed us down and I'll bet due to fervent prayers we were not pulled over.

Road Surface

The roads are like being in a live video game. Who knows when a pothole that will sink a taxi will appear front, right or left? Roads can change names quickly and the texture of the road can change to dirt and large potholes in an instant. We had a least four or five men (some boys) who stood with shovels in the road with their hand out because they were working on filling in the potholes (I think). Due to the terrible condition of the road, I had both hands on the wheel and I didn't stop for anything. 

Pedestrians

The longest stretch of the road without dirt and potholes had busses and taxi's darting on and off the road looking for passengers. People would run across the highway and sometimes the tall grass in the meridian would hide them until they were right in front of you. Of course there are hardly any stop lights or stop signs. Fastest guy wins. On the way back, Jeffrey did not want one of the cars behind us to pass in front. "Go, go, you can go now!" "Stay behind this car, don't let that guy in." "Quick, catch up now." I just trusted Jeffrey could see and knew what he was saying and went with it.  All prayers and pleads were answered. No one was killed, no accident happened and we got home in one piece.

Swedru 5th branch was wonderful! We found the building that the church met in and our missionary Sister Dadzie was waiting out front for
us. I was able to give her the packages and took pictures with her to give to the Phillips - proof of endeavor. It was the wonderful ladies in the branch that came up to talk with me that gave me the warmest feeling. We talked about sisters that we are born with and sisters we choose to bond with. The immediate rapport I felt with these sisters told me I could be good friends if I went to church every week here. Almost persuadable......almost. That drive is good for once in a lifetime.


Sofia and the branch president's wife (I said her name but can't spell it)

I'm not very good at the selfies. Smiling, framing, and pushing the button is almost too much!

Sofia and I

I really felt a warm welcome in this branch.

Sister Dadzie and I



No comments: