Pages

Friday, November 12, 2021

Surprise Visitor

 Brent made plans and came to visit Accra, Ghana because the Bonner Family was coming to Accra - and Africa -  for the very first time to showcase a movie that one of the Bonner's wrote the screenplay for. 

"My Name is Green Flake" is a YouTube movie (I think it is only by a subscription that you can open it), and the Bonners have plans to visit a lot of stakes to sing and show their movie. They are excellent singers that harmonize well with or without accompaniment. 

The movie is based on the story of Green Flake a slave that was owned by people who became members of the church. The movie has a lot more in it than the stories I looked up online about him, but probably because there wasn't a whole lot of information from those stories. Maybe they had journals or something more personal than what I could find. I am not sure whether the intent of the story is for an LDS audience to educate and enlighten or for general audiences. I am figuring it wouldn't be understood very well without an LDS background - but who knows? For me I was shocked to find out that saints even owned slaves. I have always believed the gospel of Christ doesn't have any part of slavery. So if that was the intent - well covered! The Bonners are excellent singers and I was touched and moved by their songs.

Ok, back to the reason for this post!

Brent left on his birthday which was November 4th and arrived on the 5th. He had given us a little over a week's warning that he was coming and asked if we wanted anything from the states. A good cutting pair of scissors for all the fabric I'm doing was first on my list. It was like Christmas came early when Brent arrived here. He brought Jeffrey some Arabic books and I got vitamins and sewing materials. I am so happy!

Happy Birthday Brent!

The Burton's hosted a birthday celebration. It was odd having Brent not take charge and order the events - of course it was the Burton's home now. Just different.

Brent talking to all the guests who came for his birthday


The really cool part for me was the fact that he asked if I wanted him to take something back. He said he had room in his suitcases. 

So just like that my herd of elephants are now in Utah in Susie's house!

No comments: