Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2022

BitterSweet

 We had a fabulous family reunion in Lake Tahoe with the family! Matthew set this up months ago, and Kelsi got a professional photographer to take a family picture outdoors and at the beach. One of the rental houses had four floors with a game room at the bottom with pool and air-hockey tables and an outdoor hot tub on the second floor. The main floor had a big kitchen and living room with a wrap around deck to sit and view the scenery. Ideal for different family units. The top floor was a loft with a king size bed and big walk-in closet, lots of room and a bathroom with a soaking tub and a shower. We were set up there.

When we drove up past Sacramento, a car passing us had a waving, smiling Rachel in the passenger window, so we knew who to follow! A few miles down the road, I realized that the car falling them was Andrew's car, so we jumped into the caravan.

Arriving at the beautiful house on Maryanne Road #436 we pulled in behind Nate's van which was already there. The first one to give me a big hug and hello was James! My first thought was how could he know me? He is three and was only over a year when we left. Whatever the fortunate reason (I'm thinking its parental - mom) my heart was warmed and touched by his love. Oliver was right there with him and gave me the biggest hug! That's twice I've come home from a mission and gotten a ready hug from Oliver!

I had a slight headache due I felt to the altitude and made sure I drank plenty of water and moved slowly. The first night was my turn to make a meal and I made the noodles and vegetables that I had discovered in Accra. Some liked it others didn't. I'll have to spruce up my US version. Games were played and we met up with Mike and Rebekah and the rest of the family.

We had left Mike and Julia's family in Concord because Makynlee had brought home a croup from her preschool and Isla and Julia were not feeling well. We met with the rest of the families in Lake Tahoe in two different houses. The families without children (yet) were in one house and the families with children and Jeffrey and I were in the other. I never did see the other house as they always came over to ours.

The little kids met us the first morning running up the stairs and jumped on our bed. Luckily I threw on a dress when I heard them on the stairs. It is so fun to be surrounded by children! It was Sunday and we had our own service. Jeffrey had the ladies speak and I was very much uplifted with what they said. I hope we have more meetings where we can hear the softer voices that have such powerful testimonies.

James and I seemed to have an allergic reaction to something in the house. I felt bad for him and was glad they gave him some medicine.

But Monday night was the bitter for me. Michael called Matthew to tell him their whole family tested positive for Covid. I realized that my headache and allergy reactions were actually the precursor to a Covid illness. And I had GIVEN it to MY ENTIRE FAMILY!

I could have should have stayed home. 

The setting was so beautiful, the walks in the woods was magical, taking pictures on the beach was great, listening to the laughter when they played games was wonderful, hearing Kelsi on her guitar was lovely, the kids in the hot tub was fun, playing a "newlywed" game was enlightening, but watching the children and Debbie get sick, tired, and have fevers was almost crushing guilt. Rebekah, Andrew, Rachel all got sick. The families with children left on Wednesday morning. But the non children families stayed on as they work remotely and had not planned to leave until next Saturday. Now they are ill in a beautiful place - working remotely.



No comments: