Pages

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Phun Gingerbread

After going to the Fabric Warehouse, I stopped by True Value and bought a hand mixer. Assistants stand around to help each customer and will open up the box of your item and show (plug it into an outlet etc.) that it works and will count all the parts. They then carry your items up to the front counter. I took everything home then headed to the grocery store. I found everything on my list except molasses and after two assistants asked and looked all over the shelves, I determined to try a different kind of sugar because I figured it was the closest to molasses I could get. I had a nice discussion with another customer who uses this kind of sugar in his bar-be-que instead of molasses. I didn't know anyone used molasses to cook meat.
Very brown - not quite wet - coarse sugar
The dough didn't have the moisture that molasses would bring, so I debated between adding an egg or using some oil. I figured eggs were not even part of the recipe and used some oil to make it the right consistency so I could add flour.
The phun part came when I realised I did not have a rolling pin. The first thing I tried was a wrapping tube stuffed with paper and wrapped in parchment paper - it gives too much. Then I filled it with a plastic bag with rice packed down and wrapped in parchment paper. That was better. The best item was the handle of the whisk though I had to use it on the side of the table and only a portion of the gingerbread dough could be reached at one time.
Various ways to make a rolling pin - I wouldn't recommend any of them

I put parchment paper under and over the gingerbread to cut down on any sticking

After using the handle of the whisk, the rice filled wrapping paper roll would smooth the dough out
I really miss my marble rolling pin - and Laura Nausin.
So after some fits and starts, I had four little houses cut out and cooked. At least it smelled right. The dough was a little too soft, so I had to cook it almost crisp. Phun, phun.
I was sewing and cooking and filling up the stockings until midnight so I thought I'd whip up the frosting in the morning and put the houses together before I picked up the kids at 6:30 am. Ah, the plans of mice and men - and women who should know better.
I love parchment paper. Cooking is so much easier with it!!


No comments: