Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Formula for Success

I've got it figure out! How to have a successful Activity Day.
Step 1 Opening Activity
I like to start and end on time, so I bring something for those who come on time

A reward for those who show up a little early or on time with some kind of treat - this last time is was balloon and a stick.
     A. Show and Tell/Magic Trick/Object lesson
Last Friday I showed some magic tricks the dentist had shown me and then likened it to people who will trick you in life. Only the Holy Ghost can confirm to your soul of the truth of everything.  (Did the children understand?  Maybe)
2. Outdoor Activity
     A. Water Balloon Toss
Large Balloon filled just a little water

Some balloons lasted quite a while and would roll down the pavement after being dropped

It was amazing how far some could stand apart

Of course there were a few who went through several balloons

     B. Bean Bag Challenge (bags made out of rice)  From the internet I found a page full of different bean bag challenges. Starting out simple and getting more complex.
Just getting started throwing bags up and catching them was entertaining for me until their eye-hand co-oridnation kicked in 

Throw, turn around catch

Throw, clap your hands three time and catch
Balance while running or walking fast

Balance throw up bag from your foot and catch it

Balance going up and down the stairs
-Water Break-
Good to have a water break in this heat and humidity

One or two more challenges....
Throw the bag, kneel down and catch it


Something just for me as a photographer - I had the children practice jumping together so I could get a picture with lift to it. Practice makes perfect - I'd love to get them all jumping together.
Jumping all at the same time is tricky

Some of these children look really great!

3. Indoor Scripture Story or Spiritual Teaching
     A. Last Friday we talked about the Good Samaritan and how we can help and serve those around us. Gave my testimony of service.
The children cut out laminated pictures of the Good Samaritan story found in the Primary section on LDS.org
Then they made a background that I will laminate with really stiff plastic so they can tape the figures as they tell their story
I felt I had the children's attention the whole night - nice bonus for me as a teacher. I just hope they took something inside that will be of benefit to them.

No comments: