Pages

Monday, April 2, 2018

Today's Service

The Primary hosted a birthday party for a one-year old boy. I had never met any of the parents, grandparents or  the relatives I saw today. Either the parents or grandparents have moved into the ward and it was decided to have a Primary Activity with the birthday party.
Gabriel's greater family went to considerable effort to make everything look great

Sister Lorraine hid eggs in two rooms. There is not many hiding places for eggs.

Pictures, balloons, crepe paper, stars, and circles, lots of effort

At least three hours of prep work went into the decorations and set-up and lots of hours of kitchen work. I'm wondering if all birthday's are consider extremely important. I don't recall every birthday, just milestones of birthdays in the US - but then I wasn't really looking or considering what my culture was.

I had offered to bring some plastic eggs and they were the main focus of the hunt. Gab's family brought some which was very good because I filled mine with floss and toy animals. Probably a disappointment for those wanting candy. But at least mine didn't have baby carrots and celery like some my sister gave out on Easter!
Waiting for the Party to begin

These sisters are so sweet and come all the time now

The party was slow to begin and then no one wanted to leave when it was over

Most of the children trickled in about an hour after the party was to start. Every half hour or so more people would show up. Some came about the time we were closing up.
Gab and friends

Gab's mom took him from one set of people to another to get his picture taken

Gab and his cousins

The first "game" was the birthday boy going from group to group getting his picture taken, and then the Easter Egg hunt followed by one or two dancers. The dancing did not take off like it has in other birthday celebrations. The Egg hunt was fast and each child was allowed 5 eggs each. Some got lots of candy and some got lots of toys. Everyone got a flosser.
Mad dash around an empty room and a room full of adults and furniture

There was a mad dash around the two rooms finding eggs. The older kids got five and the younger kids were lucky to get a couple. Some of the girls danced to "Baby Shark..."
Hugely popular "Baby Shark.......Daddy Shark.....do tu tu du...."
After a lot of talking the dinner was served. After quite a few people were finished and done with the food and the closing prayer was given, eggs were brought out to be painted.
Scrumptious dinner for many, many people - a hundred?
They had to share the paint brushes and paint

I have to admit, I was ready for the party to be over when the kids started painting eggs and I didn't remember that they are right brain kids and will be very creative and take their time.
Careful artwork

I finally told everyone that if they wanted to stay they would have to help me clean up because I wanted to get home by six. Reluctantly they filed out and started playing outside. Sister Lorraine had signed a paper saying she would clean up and restore the room to it's previous condition. It was strewn with trash, paint, muddy footprints and food bits, so I knew I wouldn't leave her with it. I guess it was a little bold of me to hurry everyone out and I got some surprised faces.....but I got the job done and got home about a quarter to seven.

Being at the church from a little before one until after six I feel is over the top for a birthday party - and even a Primary Activity. Probably culture conditioning from the States.

No comments: