Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Epiphany moment

 Two weeks ago, I had Juliet over to my house three times for different projects. The fact that we cannot speak freely to each other hasn't seem to hinder our association. I have known Juliet for six months starting out buying peanuts and peanut butter from her before the impulsive moment I asked her to come show me how Ghanaian cooking works. [complicated] And now it has blossomed out into making fruit juice drinks. She has given drinks out to the Area office ladies and a few men twice in the last two weeks. These are the people she got to know by working in the cafeteria before Covid struck. When the cafeteria stopped, she lost her livelihood and started selling peanuts [groundnuts]. 

In the course of our 'conversations' I found that she is going to the temple three times a week and praying constantly for aid from our Father in Heaven. When she was talking the impression came strongly to my mind that I was her answer to prayer. WHAT! No, I'm not anybody's answer as I don't know enough to be anybody's answer in a foreign land! But you know how impressions work, you just have to go out and find the answers.

SO.....I asked her what she would charge if she were going to sell her juices. She said 3 cedis. What? I told her that would be highway robbery of her time and efforts. She would be selling the juices for almost the cost of the fruit. I told her her time and efforts and the fact that she brings it right to them is what they are paying for. They can go out and get fruit and make it themselves if they want it cheap. We talked about it a bit, but it was Elder Dumevi who was the key. One, he could talk in her language, and two he is quite sure what sells, and what needs to be done to sell. The last time we were together he told her she needed to find a place to make the juices besides my apartment as I won't be here long term and when I go traveling, she couldn't use the apartment either. Her home is much too small without the items necessary to make the juices.

Now I am investing in her business, getting the tools and items and the first fruits to get started until she can get her fledgling business up and started. She has made the first batch which is in my freezer at the moment waiting for Monday morning to go sell them at the Area Office. We'll just have to see if she can make it work.





 

Sobolo (hibiscus flowers) with and without ginger, pineapple with ginger, watermelon/mango all waiting to be sold on Monday.


No comments: