Pages

Friday, July 30, 2021

The Tie

 Wednesday was the last day Brent Belnap was going to be in the office as the ALC for Africa West Area. He had a few shirts and things he was wearing that he wanted to give to the missionaries as he had already left all his white shirts and things instead of trying to find one more space in his luggage. As it was, he had to pay for extra baggage.

So when I received two shirts and a sack as he was putting his bags in our car to go to the airport, I noted the tie. I asked him if this was The Tie. Yes it was and he didn't want to see it again. It is a very nice tie. The story behind The Tie is a Covid story.


In March of 2020 the Area President at the time urged the missionaries to go home, either to serve remotely or to come back to serve at another time. Then he strongly urged the missionaries to go home. The employees were told to serve from home as much as possible. Brent and Lorinda were helping missionaries obtain air flights and driving them to the airport and were packing and trying to decide what they should bring or leave. The watched those around them leaving in big groups as they drove them to the airport.

The Belnaps thought they were required to leave but at the last minute realized it was a choice. They chose to stay. The  Area Presidency was in transition so some stayed and missed their home leave (like the Belnaps too) and I know the Hymas chose to stay too. I heard someone say there were eight couples that were left in Accra. (rumor not fact) The MTC had all gone home and the Area missionaries too. One visiting Mission President with his family got stuck in Accra as they were not allowed to go back to their mission.

Brent faithfully walked to work every day into a deserted Area Office. He was alone in his office and on his floor. He decided he didn't need to decide which tie to wear everyday as no one would see any ties. Every day through Covid pandemic in Ghana, Africa he wore that same tie to work. 

I'm not sure I can turn it over to a missionary who won't know the story behind this tie. I think I should put it under glass and frame it.


I was so happy to see him wear the Kente tie we had given him. I knew when I saw it that he felt he was not alone anymore.


No comments: