Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Hike from Boti Falls - Part 1

 Getting up to the Rock

Up the steps back to the main area and then on to the path to Umbrella Rock. The guide said that quick hikers could make it in 45 minutes, most took an hour or more and then there are the slow hikers.....
I knew I wasn't even going to start because of my bum ankle. I just couldn't stand to picture being carried off a mountain. Jeffrey and the young adults all set off just before 9 am. 

Meanwhile back at the compound

I take pictures around the compound and wander around noticing that yellow and red leaves and even flowers are falling from trees, but it was about 85 degrees out in the sun. Much nicer under the trees. I am watching Fall, summer and late spring all at the same time. There are unique bits of artwork in the stone walls that I take pictures of and try to talk to a man who almost understands me but I have a hard time understanding him. We laugh anyway. 
Musical pavilion?

You can see the drums and other instruments

A man showed me this shark

There were other fishes (dolphins?) too

Big green and yellow and tiny yellow leaves falling

These little flowers were dropping everywhere

Several Trees had been carved out
I am convinced that a large number of artists have been here for a long time. But when I asked about carvings, or paintings the man I was talking to lead me to some just built and being painted boats and told me about the future boat rides down the river to and from the Falls.
Painting the new boats

He was very nice in showing me the new Painting



















Art work was everywhere but no shops or tourists places with things to buy. That was a first! Usually I have many people coming up and asking me to look and buy their things.
Stone work of the wall

Face carved into stump with "legs"



















Surprise! Car comes back with Jeffrey and company

Around 10:30 a little red car zips into the parking lot and I note that Jeffrey, Walker, and Adepa all get out....What?! It turns out that Jeffrey's late night, no breakfast, sedentary life, and the tense drive contributed to him getting too exhausted to finish the hike. He said he tried to tell the kids that he would rest then make his way back to the compound while they finished the hike. They told him they would all go back but they weren't going to leave him. He rested awhile and slugged on, rested slugged on and so forth till they reached the rock. Emmanuel called the Boti Falls number and told them they needed to come get Jeffrey and they sent a car. Jeffrey and I are just getting older.
Walker and Adepa taking care of Jeffrey

Sitting enjoying the company














I was touched by the care that Walker especially but Adepa too took to make sure Jeffrey was okay. they got him water and stayed right with him until he had perked up. I can see why Walker is the counselor in the Bishopric as he is very thoughtful, caring, and takes responsibility. I like how he plans things out long range.


Returning hikers

First Moses and then Prince, Margaret, Emmanuel, and Vera strolled into the compound with high spirits and wonderful pictures to show around 11:20 am. I loved the comradery, teasing, and mugging for photos. It is so nice to be around young people.
Margaret and the girls pulled the coolers of food that Prince's mother had prepared and served it up to us individually. It was so delicious!
Fried rice, black pepper sauce, chicken, salad

Vera and Margaret

Guests and her chicks who showed up

Mugging for pictures


















A man from the ownership of Boti Falls came and told us about the zip-line and canopy walk they are going to add by December and told us a little about the plans to have a hotel here. Lots of expansion ideas. The young adults said it would be fun to come again.

Next Post - Pictures from Umbrella Rock

No comments: