Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Moved to act (or just running around)?

My heart is wrenched at times. Sometimes I feel helpless and that there is no good answers, sometimes I give money, sometimes I give biscuits, sometimes I feel moved to act - like giving space in my kitchen, giving money for someone to make something, or giving apples and money to a person without the use of his legs. I sometimes feel I have a target on my back (or forehead) and people know I am a soft touch. Jeffrey knows I've given a lot of money away. I know some things given are not taken for need. This isn't the first time my heart has run a gambit of emotions, so I am not sure why I haven't learned how to handle this better. Or maybe decide how I feel and what to do with those feelings.

One man told me a horrific tale of a storm and accident and his little brother's spine being broken. He told me how he lost all of his clothes in an apartment that was torn down. I gave him some money. My trust but verify instincts went into play and I looked up the incident in the news. He story soon had many holes in it with a fire two months ago and the demolition of buildings were shops - not to say there weren't squatters living there too- as people live everywhere they find a nook despite danger.

Two sides: I have to try not to be cynical when I hear stories or write people off as too fantastic. I need to be of service when I'm placed in a position (of relative wealth and talent) to be of help and assistance that God is expecting. "15 What mean ye that ye beat my people to pieces, and grind the faces of the poor? saith the Lord God of hosts." Isaiah 3:15

So why is this so hard? Why isn't there a rule book on what you are supposed to do?

Watching a man without working legs and not feeling pity is hard. What is my compassionate side supposed to do? Actually do? I'd like to give him legs back.

"Pity is the feeling of sympathy or sharing in the suffering of another human being or an animal while compassion is the feeling of mercy, empathy, and a desire to help the suffering person or animal.

Pity is an emotion while compassion is both an emotion and a virtue.
Pity can sometimes be tinged with contempt or dislike while compassion is part of love and is therefore free from any negative feelings."

Read more: Difference Between Pity and Compassion | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/science/nature/difference-between-pity-and-compassion/#ixzz76QjKLwrK

Are the stories fantastic because of a desperate need for funds? Or is he thinking about the white rich lady who has more than I? My feelings run between pity, compassion, cynicism, and a need to do something.

No comments: