Pages

Monday, December 19, 2016

Field Trip

Off into the country we went to explore and enjoy the country side. We went all the way to the ocean and got a small glimpse of this beautiful land. Believe it or not my camera was in the trunk the whole way going to the ocean! Unbelievable. Anyway I had in my mind all the little scenes I wanted to take on the way home, but of course it was totally different and wonderful.
It was a very calm ocean that day
This has the feel of a tropical rainforest but it has obviously been farmed or worked on at various times
Mostly I just stuck the camera out the window and started taking pictures of the fascinating world around me.  It must have been wash day on Saturday because almost every home had the wash hanging from lines, trees, and branches. How do they make the whites so white?
Look at this white - it is done by hand.
What is the umbrella for?
There were horses that young men rode with containers on both sides, there were pigs rooting around next to the road, chickens and little kids all next to the road. Then I noticed that the water was carried back to their homes by hand.
Every few miles the water was being collected by hand

This was the only place I saw clearly marked for water

The jungle takes back anything that isn't currently being worked on
This woman had laid our her rice on a tarp on the road then stood there guarding it from trucks, cars, jeepneys and buses  - mind you this is a two lane windy, twisty road. She just has to hope that no one is coming the other way
Many of the homes do not have windows
Everyone had wash out. Only older women sat on chairs, most people, young tots, young children, teens, young adults and men have this flat footed squat that they use for sitting
Many of the field were in different stages of planting and growth. I think these were rice fields but I don't know the difference between the plants I saw. 
Rice?
The carabao are used to plant, plow, pull, and ride. Lots of farms had them
I don't have a good picture, but I asked several people about the little shacks that were in the middle of the fields, up off the ground, no windows. Ernesto who maintains the dental clinic was able to tell me that they are use them to rest in away from the sun and water.
(Every day at noon, the workers here who are constructing the MTC second half will all lay down under the trees or overhangs and rest for an hour. I'll bet they really need it as they carry bags of debris out on their shoulders and supplies back in on their shoulders.)

When we got into a more populated place it is crowded -
Jeepney intersection - they drive around and through without traffic lights or signs
Four way intersections are busy with everyone driving their way at the same time
Traffic is insane

Contrasts in the Philippines are stark and real. I live in the wealthy neighborhood.
This is a view from my 6th floor apartment - we have since moved to  another apartment on the 26th floor

I have a stomach clenching view from our small balcony of the mall down below, people look the size of ants and fireworks are normal after concerts
My camera battery ran out long before I got home as I tried to capture some of the sights and feelings as I drove through this awe-inspiring country.


No comments: