Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Saturday is a special day, it the day we get ready.....

 Sister Jearlie Hymas and I went out shopping in Accra. It was an adventure! First we turned on a street that had a sign pointing to the Italian Embassy, on the corner was tables of vegetables and fruit. The friendly man would put in a bucket whatever I asked for. Jearlie told me to tell him when I was using it, and he would pick the right mango, avocado, guava, etc. 

The avocado comes in two types, a yellow type that is long and a green type though bigger from what I am used to. It is a delight to get fresh food. 

Sister Hymas showed me a great street food that can be bought by the ladies balancing boxes on their head walking down the streets. This is a plantain that has been sliced fried and salted. It is a chip and just as addictive!



On the streets the plantains are cut lengthwise, in the store they are cut horizontally and look like regular banana slices but they are fried and salted, or have cinnamon, or have red pepper chili or bar-b-que. I haven't tried them all.

Sister Hymas and I at the Mall
We walked through a few malls and I ended up with everything on my list. Ironing pad, drying rack, detergent etc., etc. All to make life even better:)

I don't have a picture of "Costco" type of 'store', but it looks like an oversized garage attached to a two story house in a neighborhood that looks like other houses side by side. When you walk in the ceiling is about a story and a half above with few dim light and the whole place is just crowded with boxes. It looks like Costco products. Sister Hymas assures me that the contents are ever changing. If there is something I want to get it now because it may or may not be here the next time.  It was fun!

When we got home, the security guards came and brought another lady and they helped me unpack Sister Hymas' car (small SUV) and even carry it into my kitchen. I asked the security guard if he knew how to use the oven. He called someone else who looked it over and ultimately asked Sister Hymas how she cooked! So I know one setting on the oven, one setting on the washer, and two settings on the microwave. That's all I need to know!

It was a fun day of exploration. We are going to do it again with another new missionary, Sister Despain.

No comments: