Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2020

The Rest of the day - December 5

 After two the two markets, the Belnaps wanted to show us the "Walmart" version of a store that carries all  kinds of things that may be useful. The traffic going in was terrible. Elections will be held in Ghana (I'm pretty sure for President) and for some reason this made lots of people going certain ways. There were people in the same t-shirts with a man's name on it who were dancing, marching and blowing air horns. So we saw a lot of the city and some of the countryside. It is beautiful, green, flowers in trees - in fact it has a similarity to the Philippines. It just feels bigger. 

We went in the parking lot of the store - was it Paradise, Parade, um...whatever and back right out again. Way too crowded!  More election mania? But at least I have an idea of where it is. I won't really know until I drive the streets myself - but not yet! Traffic is not like in the States. The motorcycles are everywhere without many rules. There are many roundabouts but driven differently than I am used to and "give way" lanes. I need someone like Jonah to show me how to drive. 

We ended up at a Gelato place and enjoyed a cold treat getting out of the heat. This was Rebecca's idea and a good one at that. Then back to the Belnap's home to get a drink of water and use the facilities. Nathan, the youngest son joined us and we got in a van with the Elder and Sister Dick who drove us out to a Polo Club. Someone found a great restaurant that lets the public in and lets us watch the Polo match while eating. Very fun! I don't believe I have ever watched a Polo match before and for sure never in person.

We met some other missionaries who were there to eat and chatted with them. One of the ladies worked with the Young Adults and it was determined that I would help her. Her name started with an H but right now I am so fuzzy I can't remember important details like names. 

Brent Belnap across the table from us with the Polo match going on behind him. We told him we'd yell if the ball started coming his way.

We did stop chatting together to watch one really cool goal (is it goal in Polo?) and admired the dexterity of the horses and the men shooting that little ball down the field with a small mallet - all while running by on a horse!

Brother Belnap showed us the purple and blue sky (sorry out of power so no picture) and told us it only comes one time of year when the hot winds from the Sahara blow dust down and creates beautiful skies at night and dust all over the cars and city. This is the beginning of the hot and driest season.

Brent Belnap also told us about Jupiter and Saturn and how they are the closest they have been together since 12-- (he gave an exact year) and said on the 21 of December they will be the closest they had ever been that is known. He said in Utah it would be just above the horizon just before the sun goes down and in California  it can be seen at dusk. 

Anyone who knows Ralph Lambert should go ask him about this "Christmas Star" and possibly see it in his telescope. I will have to make do with watching it a little further up in the sky with my own eyes.

I sure hope Brother Belnap's plan is working as I am tired, tired and hope I am making sense. It sure has been a grand day!

No comments: