Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Another Jonah-ing Day

It felt so good to be with Jonah again. We had a really nice day last Thursday. Starting out in the dental clinic to get ready for the next Intake, Jonah was assistant to Dr. Stewart while I finished up paperwork with Sister Weir.
Sliding right into work again

A senior missionary who was fun to be with despite a small tooth problem.

Sister Stinchfield was teaching Sister Whitehead the pivot tables and how to get information needed for reports.
Sister Stinchfield is trying out her instructions to see if somebody (in this case Sister Whitehead) can follow them

Sister Stewart was attempting to put all the information for the Dental Handbook together again - no picture as she shut the door.
Elder Stinchfield was in and out talking to people on the phone, and Elder Whitehead was working  on "paperwork" (actually on a computer).
It is amazing the amount of follow up or paper work (though on a computer) an office generates


After leaving the Dental Clinic, Jonah and I ran around picking up little things for her family members who wanted her to get this or that "while she was in Manila".  The traffic was normal but not terrible with only one or two close calls. I pray EVERY time I drive a car here to not be in an accident or cause an accident.
We ended up at a restaurant where I tried something new. I wanted something close to a dish that was native to Jonah's hometown.  It looks like a green mush but it tastes great! I had to ask Jonah what it was called so she wrote on messenger: Bicol Laing ( black/brown leaves cooked with Coconut milk, the leaves that we air dry then the other one we called it Pinangat the one with shredded Coconut with pound little crabs and spices but we HAve different one another version of it called Tilamok with pork sa the filling.
I watched other patrons and used the spoon and fork just like they did to serve this on rice and scoop it up. These Bicol dishes were very tasty!

Then we came back to pack up extra material that I have for a project the Young Women are doing in Jonah's ward. Her new sister-in-law Roma, is now the Young Women's president and Jonah is a counsellor. So they are doing a sewing project in April for Mother's day.
Jonah and I had an adventure riding the elevator.
Moving, but the indicator blinked 0 the whole time. I just started taking pictures again

We could feel the elevator moving though the number just said 0 the whole time and wouldn't let us push the number for our floor.
Pressing the alarm and phone - silence

It was eerie when Jonah pushed both the phone and the alarm there wasn't any sound.
When the elevator doors opened on the 37th of 38 floors we jumped off quickly and waited for another elevator. Later when we walked to the front desk, the security guard assured us he could see our alarm on the control panel and sent someone to fix the problem. (It has been 3 days and the elevator is still un-operational).

Dropping Jonah off was bitter-sweet because my time here is very short and I''m going to miss this creative, helpful, joyful, young woman who has introduced me to her country, though she is going to come again in April to go to a graduation with me of Jhon Kyle's.  So I will see her again. But sometimes I cry because I may never see her again after I leave for California.

 Jonah's adventures didn't end -- the bus blew a tire on the way to her home, so she was about three hours late.

No comments: