Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Play Dough - homemade

This morning I made play dough so the children in Primary could make their own 'sepulchre' and rolling stone, while we read the scriptures concerning Jesus Christ's death and resurrection. The lesson went well though for the children the scripture reading was hard to understand. I think they learned more from the song they practiced.

For the ladies who wanted the play dough instructions:

Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of salt*
2 tablespoons cream of tartar

Heat to boil:
2 cups of water
2 Tablespoons of oil*
food dye if colouring the play dough

As soon as the water boils, pour it over the flour mixture while stirring until all flour is mixed in. I dump it on a piece of parchment paper to cool while I mix up a new batch of dough.

After it cools, knead it until it resembles play dough! This is an important step. Sprinkle on flour if sticky.

Water, oil, and colouring in the pan to boil  --  flour, salt, cream of tartar in the bowl

As soon as the water is boiling -  pour it over the flour and stir mixture until all the flour is absorbed

Dumped out the dough to cool on parchment paper, then knead

This was my only batch that was grey like a rock, the rest were too red, or too blue
*When I ran out of regular salt, I use rock salt - I put it in the boiling water to dissolve instead of the bowl of flour. I have found every type of cooking oil works just fine.

If you store the play dough  in a plastic bag in the fridge, take it out to play and put it back, it will last about 6 months. If you leave it out for the day (or night) it will be crusty and not so pliable.

I make eatable play dough using 1 cup of creamy peanut butter, 1/2 cup of honey and 2 cups of powdered sugar. Probably not too healthy but it sure is fun!

1 comment:

Ludlows said...

Thanks for the recipes. I am going to make some with Warren. I love the idea of building a sepulchre too.