Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2018

River living

Jonah and I walked down to the river to see the view from the ground. The river was just as mucky as it looks from above, but it was much easier to see the trash floating in it. Life looks more stark from eye level too. The ground is steep. The farm is on small terraces up the side of the bank.  On my side of the river a "house" hangs right over the embankment. I could see people sitting where one false move would be a long way down. Prosperity was not evident.  It looked like survival to me. Though the creativity to make a living is amazing.
The homes are actually across a road. The living quarters are the tarps fastened to poles with the farm in front
I couldn't tell if this man was harvesting or bringing up water to his plants. The brown area on the left is where the kids use to jump off to go swimming.

A new cement wall has gone up and we are looking around it in a gap.
A closer view of the house - mostly open air

The huts across the river are smaller with farms
This existence is leaning up against my film set existence of expensive mall life and between the cement homes just across two walls and a road. Squatters build temporary housing and those who own - or are buying, (though usually renting) - have cement homes.
I wonder where they sell their vegetables?

No comments: