Pages

Friday, March 9, 2018

Love what you do

I've been thinking about Laura Nausin today. I think I can relate to her feelings of accomplishing something even when she comes home looking like she lost the war.
Last night I came home with aching feet, legs, sweaty hair, and a load of trash. I crashed into a chair after putting things away and Jeffrey walked in from his day. I had to tell him about my terrific day because I didn't look how I felt.
Lots of effort eaten in three quick bites

I remember looking at Laura one night as we unpacked her car after a wedding and thought, she's never going to want to do this again - what a high price to pay in hours and weeks of planning, effort, work and anxiety for a few hours of frenzy without even sitting back to enjoy the show. She volunteered for the very next wedding.
Last night I could totally understand why. It is similar to a second high, the euphoria that a runner feels when he pushes past the first 'sand-in-the-shoes' and then gets that light feeling he can run forever. (Of course there is always a price to pay.)
Picture taken by Sister Villanueva with some of the kids

Watching the children laughing, running, and then paying close attention to a story about a prophet gave me an incredible high even though I was tired emotionally and physically. It has taken literally months to find the formula so that the boys and the girls enjoy Activity Day - on the same evening.

I'm already planning for 2 weeks from now. How can I make it different? What can I do to engage the children's interest and feed them spiritually? How can I change it up and still have a success?
Sometime people want Laura to relax and enjoy the party. I'll bet she gets a better feeling by putting on the show than merely going to a party.  I know I would not want to just show up to Activity Day. I love the prep work and the pay-off!

No comments: