Pages

Monday, August 14, 2023

Brennan Island or bust

 Eliza Smith is the high school young women's president and wanted to go camping. Most of the camping sites are closed this year due to the extended winter rains and conditions of the mountains, roads, and trails. That left one place that had openings for a group. I don't know when the young men were invited, but pretty soon it was the whole Young Men Young Women group. I suspect her dad was involved as he is the Bishop of the ward and in charge of the young men.  

My week got very involved and knowing of the mosquito problems, I didn't really want to stay. I volunteered to take and deliver the youth after I realized that three of the women leaders were going to stay overnight. Yeah! My only job was to get them there and bring marshmallows. It was fun to watch the kids before we left. Rosie and Emily Fawcett were the explorers and found some seed twirlers that were in groups of three rather than the usual two. It made me wonder if the third breaks off before it is ripe and ready to fall or fly away in the wind. Emily and Rosie put them in each others hair.

Driving to the Island wasn't bad, but waiting in the line to get in? AWFUL. We waited a very long time, something about computers being down. Why they couldn't hand write the information is unclear. But I got in on the tail of Sister Smith's car telling the ranger I was only dropping my passengers off and not staying personally. They let me go - more I suspect because of the line than really listening to my good excuse. I dropped them off and it looked like they would have fun. 

The next day when I got back from dropping off new immigrants to their classes in Berkeley, Barbara Leal texted and said she would have room in her car and that I didn't need to come back to pick up any passengers. Double Yeah! That meant I could go to Makynlee's party that afternoon instead of running back out to Brendan Island. 


Emily Fawcet, Bella and Faith Kilcourse, Emily Score, and Rosie Mannion





From all accounts it was a good trip for the youth of the ward!

No comments: